Belize Liveaboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rossandmaureen

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My non diving spouse and I plan to do a livaboard in Belize next March. I would appreciate all comments as to suggestions people might have as to the best choice between Aggressor, Peter Hughes or Nekton...both from a diver's perspective and from the non diver point of view.

Thanks for any comments you might have.

We had this dilemma a couple of years ago and chose the Nekton trip. Factors that played into our decision were: price, safety history of the boat/company, US flagged (under USCG safety rules/inspections), responsiveness of the office staff, and (relatively) large ensuite cabins.

We didn't really feel the need for a "luxury" cruise, nor for included alcohol. We wanted a comfortable platform to dive from where we would be treated and fed well. Nekton boats fit our needs perfectly.

After being in a storm in Belize and eating dinner while watching the Peter Hughes boat behind us disappear and reappear in the waves (pitching and yawing something awful), we were more than sold on the stability of the SWATH design.

We since completed a 2 week back-to-back trip in the Bahamas on the Nekton Pilot and already have plans for doing a 2 week back-to-back in Belize in 2009! :D

I second the Nekton recommendation. While I havn't done either of the other boats that you mentioned, I was 100% satisfied with the Nekton, and would go back in a second. The main factors for us were price (it was $1500 for a week as opposed to $2400 on the other boats), the SWATH design (take it from a guy who throws up on EVERY other boat -- this thing is stable), and as Divemaven mentioned, they are USCoastguard Flagged, which gives me added comfort if nothing else.

One other thing I think is fabulous about their operation: Even if you are the only diver signed up for that week, they'll take you out. Unlike some other companies, they will not cancel your trip because not enough people signed up. Just something to think about.

The Nekton is the best. It's like having a hotel on the water.

Other liveaboards claim to be luxury but they a small and cannot compare to the Nekton boats.

here's another vote for the Nekton.....
especially if taking a non-diving partner. If I didn't dive, I would still love the Nekton because of that wonderful large top deck for sitting and reading or sunning. The other boats would make me claustrophobic! And the fact that the other boats don't have a place to really get away from anyone on the boat that you don't like! On our Nekton trip (20 people onboard) we had one dude who talked and talked and talked non-stop about himself. It was so easy to get away from him when he started and trust me, everyone did. He finally got the idea no one cared about his "cave diving experiences' and spent most of his time diving or in his room. On a smaller boat you wouldn't be able to get away, plus if you just want quiet time, the Nekton has so much room and places to hang out alone. They also have several tv sets with video players, so your spouse could watch a movie (bring or use one there on the rack). The crew is wonderful and happy to hang out when they have time or leave you alone. It is a casual fun atmosphere, not fancy, not formal, just fun.
Just my 2 cents.

robin
my report is here: http://www.rnrscuba.net/NektonCaySal.html

I'll give a vote for the Aggressor because I've been on it. It was a first rate operation. Never having been on a Nekton I won't say one is better than the other but from what I've heard if you prefer stability the Nekton would probably suit you better. They really pampered us on the Aggressor though and I would do it again.

It would be nice to get an opinion from somebody who has been on more than one of these vessels. Unfortunately, I'm not that guy. I have been on the Aggressor twice and highly recommend it.
What is the maximum number of divers aboard the Nekton? The Aggressor takes 18, which is already too many people for one dive site, in my opinion. The last time I was aboard the Aggressor, the Peter Hughes boat only had 5 divers aboard. I wish I'd booked on that boat that week.

I'm with CAPT HOOK on this one. A live aboard does not seem
like a good vacation for a non-diver. I have done a few Nekton
trips and loved them; however, there isn't much for a non diver
to really do. For divers its dive!, dive!, dive!.

I think a land based trip to a place like Bonaire, or Roatan would
be much better for a non diver. In either of those you can pick
resorts that will allow just as much diving for the diver and
the non diver can have access to things to do as well.
Total Cost will be very similar.

Perhaps there are even some places in Belize that offer unlimited
dive packages as well?

--- bill

My vote would be for Nekton as I did their Belize trip this past February.

I don't think anyone can match their price for the trip. The Pilot is very spacious and the sundeck would be perfect for your non-diving spouse. Also, realize since she would not be diving, you would want a more stable vessel for the week. The cabins are not luxurious but offer more square footage then most vessels. The dive deck is one amazing piece of engineering and makes water entry & exit simple.

Yes, the Nekton vessels take more divers because their boats have more space. I compare it to a large 80 foot houseboat that has three decks. Each deck is 80 feet long and 40 feet wide or 9600 square feet total. I believe they are designed to handle 34 divers and a crew of 12. But, most of my trips had around 15-20 drivers and a crew of 6 to 7. Even with 20 divers the boat has lots of room for everyone. It seems Aggressors boats are full more often but they hold less divers then Nekton.

I toured the Cayman Aggressor and was trying to determine how you get down to the swim platform with fins. You don’t because they store your fins by the dive platform. Also, you climb a ladder from the swim platform to the main boat deck after each dive.

My next Nekton trip is on the Rorqual leaving Sept 15, 2007 for 17-days!

:14:

Back
Top Bottom