Belize or Cayman Aggressor, any input?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjh your slideshow was fantastic especially the cocos island trip. being scubaluuke and i will be going there on the date above we cant wait thanks for the show

Not to further complicate your lives, but I suggest you also give some thought to the Turks and Caicos Aggressor. Captain Piers, ***'t Captain Christopher and the rest of the crew run one of the best liveaboards I've been on (and I've been on several)!

I've happened to have been on both Agressor boats and they both are fine operations. I was on Belize Aggressor in 2004 with Capt. Sam who is now Capt. of Cayman which I vcaioned on in 2006. While both boats are comparable in amenities and conditions, the diving on little Cayman, in my opinion was superior. Lighthouse Reef in Belize is a pristine environment with little diving pressure so it was very good and the reef was in good shape. But, Little Cayman, with Bloody Bay Wall as it's focal point, offers some of the best diving I've ever experienced. Capt. Sam told me that would be my reaction and he was right on.

But you can't really make a bad choice of either location. They're both a blast and Aggressor Fleets offer a great vacation where they truly make your memories special.
If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer.

Frank

sdwho tell me a little about your experience with turks aggressor if you dont mind. how was the diving any wrecks would you suggest it over belize or cayman and we are trying to go in may

We've been on the T&C Aggressor for diving twice:eek:nce in Sept 1996 and more recently in June 2004 (we also were on the TCA for the whale expedition in Feb of this year).

The current boat was put into service in 2004 and is terrific. Captain Piers is a "divers captain" -- that is, he is diver himself and is very accomodating to the needs and desires of his passengers. Assistant Captain Christopher is a great diver, great photographer, and a whole lot of fun. The rest of the crew is first rate, including the important job of chef. As just one example of how cooperative they are, in 2004 they accomodated our request for a dawn dive, even though that meant the crew had to get up extra early (and we still did the usual five other dives that day as well).

The diving we did in T&C doesn't feature much in the way of wreck diving (there used to be a very cool underwater sphere left over from a french tv show, but its gone now). Healthy reefs and varied fish life, including both "big" stuff (sharks, eagle rays, etc) and little stuff.

We were on the Cayman Aggressor in 2000 -- since then the boat, captain, and crew have all changed as I understand it. I've done a lot of Cayman diving over the years and, frankly, my preference is to do a land based GC/LC trip -- 10 days, 5 at Cobalt Coast in GC and 5 at Little Cayman Beach resort. The diving from the Cayman Aggressor is great, but you have to enure the crossing from GC to LC which can be rough (and sometimes can't be done at all or in a timeframe that allows much in the way of Bloody Bay Wall diving). Flying from GC to LC takes the worry out. By the way, wreck diving is not a major feature of Cayman diving either. There are some wrecks, but most are in the major falling apart stage to the best of my understanding.

Finally, as for Belize, my only experience is a land-based trip to Turneffe Island Lodge last year in late May. I did speak to some folks who were on the Aggressor and they seemed to have had a very nice time. Again, not a wreck-oriented dive.

mjh:
No doubt if you can get the money together go to Cocos! We did not go with Aggressor but at my site is a trip report, gallery and slide show. We loved it sooooo much it is one of the few destinations we are repeating.

mjh, AWESOME slide shows, especially Cocos. While Cocos has been on my hit list for some time, after viewing that slide show I think it may have just moved up to my top 3. Some of your stills are right out of National Geographic. What type of set-up are you using?

divo:
mjh, AWESOME slide shows, especially Cocos. While Cocos has been on my hit list for some time, after viewing that slide show I think it may have just moved up to my top 3. Some of your stills are right out of National Geographic. What type of set-up are you using?

mjh, just saw your profile and that you are using a Nikon D100 with Aquatica housing.

Back
Top Bottom