Belize or Honduras ... plus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-hh

Contributor
Reaction score
Got a late start on trying to do vacation planning for this year, so trying to work around the existing work schedule hassles.

Kind of a three-part question:

1. Diver with non-diver spouse. As such, looking for places that:
(a) offer a "safe beach" for her, and probably a resort-based meal plan;
(b) dayboats that don't go out all day (be back for lunch);
(c) a big non-diver bonus would be a destination that can support an itinerary (probably pre-dive days) for a few (2-3?) days of visting Mayan ruins on the mainland (probably a second hotel). Naturally, the question of "which Mayan places are really worth visiting?" accompanies this as a follow-up.

2. Belize or Honduras? Yes, a broad question, so I'm initially looking at the higher level generalizations for what the one dive region offers over the other (and which island). In addition to the non-diver, I'll have a big UW camera system in tow, if that makes any difference in recommendations.

3. Timing ... it looks like this might be the biggie, as one of our spring schedule windows falls smack dab around the full moon in April, which as per some reports (for some regions) is Whale Shark season. To go see some Whale Sharks would be a nice additional feature for a trip, but it also begs the quesetion of popularity and if I'm already too late in booking a trip at the more desirable resorts.

Thanks,

-hh

I haven't dove Belize or mainland Honduras but we had a good time at Anthony's Key on Roatan. For the non-divers there was horseback riding, massages and a good meal plan. Off the resort we went ziplining in the canopy and visited West End for shopping and an evening of beach volleyball. We had our first non-diver with us this year and she enjoyed it.

The diving was excellent. The only time we weren't back for lunch were two days where a dry front piled up some big waves on the north side of the island. The resort responded by moving the boats to the lee south side and after a short bus ride each morning we were in the water.

I have another post in this forum with a more detailed trip report if you are interested.

Good luck,
Bill

I looked into this a while back (I ended up choosing Belize) and a rough consensus seemed to be that the inner atolls had better diving than Honduras while the diving around Ambergris Key, etc. was not as good. I was there during Whale Shark season and to me that is a very strong reason to choose Belize (easily the best diving I've ever done in the Caribbean).

Back
Top Bottom