Belize the Elbow and the Nekton Pilot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ahplee

Reaction score
I will be going to Belize in a month on the Nekton pilot and was looking for some info.

Has anyone dived the elbow in Belize? Is it a hard or advanced dive due strong currents? What is there to see there?

I hear it a dive not to be missed.

Has anyone done this from the Nekton pilot and was it done as a drift dive or was the ship moored.

Thanks for your input.

Patrick

The Elbow is an excellent dive but you have to hit it while a current is running the difference in the dive is night and day without a current.
With a current you can see allsorts fo Pelagics such as Sharks mantas huge shoals of fish etc if no current is there it can be a pretty bland dive.

Not sure how Nekton does it but I would guess that would have to have a tender in because of the current there so to allow to pick up divers.

Have a great time

Gaz

The Elbow was one of the best dives we did while at Turneffe...

At the Elbow we followed the anchor line down (unfortunately the boat crew crushed a huge piece of coral when they dropped the hook) to a sandy cut, there several large buried stingrays took flight as we neared the bottom...a good start. Following the cut to the wall, we saw a decent-sized reef shark just exiting into the blue.

On the outer side of the wall, we saw large schools of blue runners and other fish. I eased myself into one of these and found a gigantic barracuda inside...got a nice photo of his wide body surrounded by fish...

Vis was probably 80-100', current was slight. Dive it as many times as they'll let you...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom