Caribbean diving in November?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

curlyjazz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am looking for a last minute dive trip for Nov 1-4. It is our wedding anniversary so we would like to go somewhere that is not too crowded and comfortable. Due to childcare, we can only be away for 4 days otherwise we would be headed to Maldives, Fiji or Raja Ampat. Is there healthy coral with fish within a 3-4 hour flight of NYC?

Since it looks like there is a storm heading to the Caribbean and the coral was dead last time we dived in Bahamas, I am not sure what to book. Does Ambergris Caye, Belize still have good diving? We have enjoyed diving in Bonaire and San Andreas, Columbia many years ago. I have heard Queen's Garden in Cuba still has healthy coral but there does not seem to be any trips scheduled until next year. Thanks! I trust this community for current info on diving.

There are direct/non-stop flights from NYC to multiple Caribbean locations.
If you really mean Nov 1-4, then Nov 1 gets you there, Nov 4 gets you home, and at least part of Nov 3 is off-gassing. You are really considering 1.5 days of diving to be OK?

There is good diving everywhere, but not all the diving everywhere is good. Since you think the coral in all the Bahamas is dead, I'm reluctant to suggest anywhere.

There are no forecasts of storm activity for Nov 1-4, except possibly the very southern Caribbean -- the ABC islands -- but they are outside your 3-4h window.

Why not just go to Cozumel?

The time frame is problematic. For good coral in the Caribbean, by reputation I'd say Little Cayman, Cayman Brac and the outer atolls of Belize (via liveaboard) would be the places to look. But that's with a week in mind.

You mentioned liking Bonaire. My favorite Bonaire sites for lush growth were way down south - Sweet Dreams, Vista Blue, Marigot Bay and Red Beryl, for example. Karpata up north was pretty nice, too. I only have 1 dive at Klein Bonaire.

If it were me with your constraints, I'd see about Grand Cayman. There's a recent thread lamenting it seems to be less 'fishy' lately. It is known for good viz., and while my dives there are limited (2 by cruise, 5 by liveaboard, and Devil's Grotto was NOT a coral reef dive!), I'd say it's got some good stuff.

Roatan has a rep. for lush reef, albeit not much 'big stuff' (I saw a goliath grouper there!). I stayed at CocoView Resort. While that might not work for a last minute 4-day trip (though you could ask), there are other options.

I don't know what air travel itineraries for Grand Cayman or Roatan look like from NYC, but I'm guessing G.C. is north/central Caribbean and might work out well.

St Lucia is romantic and has good diving and at least one direct flight from NYC. It maybe a tad over 4 hrs long.

St Lucia is romantic and has good diving and at least one direct flight from NYC. It maybe a tad over 4 hrs long.
Good suggestion.

A couple things to think about: where in the Caribbean can you get in 3-4 hours and are there direct flights from NYC to any of the Caribbean islands?

I would have suggested St. Croix amongst the other places already recommended as the diving is pretty easy and you would be able to dive the pier as a shore dive as much as you want day and night (doesn't appear to have any cruise ships on your dates so island wouldn't be too crowded.) You could dive the west side and request reef dives, although there are a few small wrecks. The pier is commonly listed as one of the top diving sites in the Caribbean.

It appears though that, like all of the other places mentioned, up to a 50% chance of precipitation is forecasted for your dates, the flights may have 1 stop, and the flights are 6+ hours. Wouldn't worry about precipitation as forecasts are likely to change.

As an alternative, I'll throw out Cabo San Lucas as an option. You may have one direct flight from NYC that would be shorter than flying to anywhere in the Caribbean - * St. Lucia may also have a direct flight from NYC with a shorter flight time, but I haven't experienced diving there. The weather in Cabo is almost guaranteed to be perfect - warm, sunny, and no precipitation (they only have 10 inches of rain a year.) For diving, the water would be about at its warmest and clearest point of the season. There are some good options to choose from on sites to dive - CSL bay, the Corridor, Cabo Pulmo, or Gordo Banks for the hammerheads.

Happy Anniversary!

Hi Jonhall, We snorkeled with whale sharks during our last visit to Cabo. It was an amazing experience! We booked flights to St. Lucia and hoping the rain forecast is not going to be an issue.

Yes, we booked to St. Lucia since it was a direct flight. Hoping we can still dive since it may have some rain.

The time frame is problematic. For good coral in the Caribbean, by reputation I'd say Little Cayman, Cayman Brac and the outer atolls of Belize (via liveaboard) would be the places to look. But that's with a week in mind.

You mentioned liking Bonaire. My favorite Bonaire sites for lush growth were way down south - Sweet Dreams, Vista Blue, Marigot Bay and Red Beryl, for example. Karpata up north was pretty nice, too. I only have 1 dive at Klein Bonaire.

If it were me with your constraints, I'd see about Grand Cayman. There's a recent thread lamenting it seems to be less 'fishy' lately. It is known for good viz., and while my dives there are limited (2 by cruise, 5 by liveaboard, and Devil's Grotto was NOT a coral reef dive!), I'd say it's got some good stuff.

Roatan has a rep. for lush reef, albeit not much 'big stuff' (I saw a goliath grouper there!). I stayed at CocoView Resort. While that might not work for a last minute 4-day trip (though you could ask), there are other options.

I don't know what air travel itineraries for Grand Cayman or Roatan look like from NYC, but I'm guessing G.C. is north/central Caribbean and might work out well.
Thank you @drrich2 I am going to save this for a different trip, I hear Cozumel was better than Grand Cayman by someone that went recently.

I hear Cozumel was better than Grand Cayman by someone that went recently.
Depends on what you're looking for. Some people enjoy drift diving, and some do not...Cozumel is a drift diving destination, and Grand Cayman is generally not. Cozumel is known as a good budget destination; Grand Cayman (aside from airfare and I've heard car rentals, which can be priced well) has a rep. for being pricy (but compare total trip cost).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom