Belize vacation Planning 2 weeks..one week wet, the other dry.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Storm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
First off my thanks for your help, advice.

About Us

My wife and I both dive, have advanced certifications, and 50 + dive under out belts (not a lot, but we're not exactly rookies either) in both the cold murky waters here in Ontario and warm clear blue waters of Cuba, and Curacao.

We are not huge fans of drift diving, at least not the type where you drop down, scoot along and watch the wall go by. I like UW photography and that requires that I be able hold my position long enough to get my shot, without blowing a tank fighting strong drift current.

We dive our own gear (even on fly out trips) so we don't want package deals that inflate prices to include gear (other than rental lead and tanks) and we prefer to dive nitrox. We usually prefer doing our own thing via shore diving, if it's decent and available, (think Bonaire/Curacao), but have no issues doing charters. We'd like to get a realistic chance at seeing big stuff, but also understand that there are never any guarantees in that respect.

We're safe divers and respect all environments. We dive with a strict no-impact mentality, dive well balanced rigs and practice good buoyancy control at all times. Here's the kicker we dive with gloves NO EXCEPTIONS. I am insect toxin sensitive (multiple stings and I'm diving for a epi pen), and I have not given marine toxins the chance to see how they get to me, and hope never to do so. My wife is..ummmm thermally challenged. The poor girl gets cold in 90 degree water after two dives. Hence her gloves. We are more than willing to do check out dives so the operators can see for themselves that we pose no threat to reef or wreck. (BTW we LOVES wrecks; it’s all we got up here - dark murky water and century old wooden wrecks).

As to the type of travelers we are, we prefer the local scene and culture. We're not the AI plant your butt on the beach and swill booze until the staff comes by and pours you into your room types; not that there anything wrong with that. It’s just not our style. We like to get out and meet the local folks, see the country's history, and landscape and breathe its culture.

Now the reason for the pre-amble is so folks, who know the area, know a bit about us and what we have to deal with. I find it makes it easier for folks to help us if they know more about what we're about and how we travel.

About the trip

We're looking at doing two weeks in Belize (December 2010) and would like to split the trip, one week of diving, and beach side stuff (week one) the other touring the interior (week two).

Most of what I've read seems to point toward Placencia or Ambergris Caye as to two most popular spots, but my research is just starting so what do I know, right? Some of the sites I've read mention some of the hotel/resorts offer up split vacations between the mainland and the cayes.

My questions about these are,

1. Who they are?
2. Where are they?
3. Are they the same outfit or just two outfits working together?
4. Are they even necessary or is it possible to book these independently and still get the trip coordinated with as little hassle as possible?
5. Who are the better (reputation) dive ops and ground tour ops?
6. What are the "must sees" on land, and in water?
7. Where can I find decent (4 - 5 rating) accommodations for the "sea" portion of the trip and the last two nights of the land portion. The rest of the land portion can be as good as 4 star in the cities or a tent and sleeping bag while on excursion.
8. What and where are the better places to eat, have the occasional drink and experience the local night life and culture?
9. Wwhat are the pre-trip requirements (visa, inoculations, etc.) that we should be aware of.
10. Is the time frame were are looking at a good time to even travel there?
11. Should we use public transportation or rent a vehicle?

Security is of concern for us. While we are well travelled, and know how to avoid problems, we have some security concerns.

The first is our gear, both dive and personal. If at all possible we would like to be able to store the dive gear in a secured place for week two. I don't see much use in hauling around BP/Wing, wetsuits, fins etc if we're rainforest trekking.

The second of course is our person and personal items. We would prefer our accommodations to have an in room safe, or at the minimum, a hotel safe where some items could be secured. (Travel papers, copies of passport, visa ,if necessary, laptop, and photography gear)

I realize this is a lot to ask, so please feel free to take little bites at it. I'll piece the whole thing together later.

If I’ve let out anything, feel free to suggest away.

Agan, thanks in advance for all your help.

P.S. feel free to suggest books, weblinks, etc if you feel they would help me in planning this trip. I donlt mind doing my own leg work either.

Hi

There a lot of questions so I will shorten my answers to the direct questions

Drift Diving

While drift diving is done there is no current at most dive sites with the exception of Hol Chan Cut (Ambergris) Elbow (Turneffe) and a couple of others but mainly its easy current free diving.

Shore Diving

No shore diving in Belize with the exception of a few of the offshore island but its very limited. If you decide on Placencia be prepared for 1 hour boat trips out to the reef Ambergris around 5 minute trips offshore atolls same 5-15 minutes.

Big Animals

Ambergris Caye has lots of Nurse Sharks, Eagle Rays and Groupers and at the park lots of shoals of fish so reasonable size animals.

Gloves

Gloves are usually a no no however since you have a potential medical issue I would suggest advising your Dm of the situation and I am sure they will accomodate you. With regards to the wife getting cold not sure how that will be handled as it is illegal to wear gloves while diving in Belize unless under special circumstances of which you qualify, getting cold does not really qualify. I think a DM would not mind but they will keep an extra eye on the glove situation and the general rule is if your wearing gloves your going to touch something you would not normally touch if you were not wearing gloves.

Gloves provide minimal insulation and if she gets that cold might i suggest a semi dry 3mm full suit custom made, this will take care of the issue for this and future trips.

Wrecks

Belize has very few divable wrecks there is one wreck dive with range of Ambergris caye but dont come to Belize expeciting any good wreck diving.

Packages and the like

1. Who they are?

Some Hotels offer the surf and turf packages but i think you have plenty of time to organize research and plan the trip yourself and plan it around what you would really like to see and do it the mainland.

2. Where are they?

I would be happy to reccomend/ suggest places to see in the mainland so you can plan the absolute best trip possible while taking in the very best attractions.

3. Are they the same outfit or just two outfits working together?

Normally its 2 outfits working together

4. Are they even necessary or is it possible to book these independently and still get the trip coordinated with as little hassle as possible?

Yes you could plan it easily and get it put toghther without issue

5. Who are the better (reputation) dive ops and ground tour ops?

On Ambergris Caye you have Ecologic divers,Amigos Del Mar, Chuck and Robbies who all consistenly get high marks and reccomendations. In May Belize Dive Connection will also be operating on the island and they also have an excellent reputation.

6. What are the "must sees" on land, and in water?

WATER

Blue Hole and Lighthouse Reef
Hol Chan Marine Reserve
Elbow (Turneffe Islands) Drift dive
Eagle ray canyons
Tackle Box

Land

ATM Cave (if your fit)
Lamanaii (mayan Ruin
Cave Tubing
Belize Zoo (unique natural enclosures and great photo ops)
Caracol or Tikal
Mountain Pine Ridge

7. Where can I find decent (4 - 5 rating) accommodations for the "sea" portion of the trip and the last two nights of the land portion.

For a extensive list of accomodations that can be found on Ambergris Caye visit Belize Lodging Guide, Resorts, Hotels, Accommodations, Reservations, Rooms in Belize

8. What and where are the better places to eat, have the occasional drink and experience the local night life and culture?

Ambergris Caye has a large choice of restaurants from fancy to the local cheapo places and everything inbetween. also many local Bars you can have a nice relaxing Beliken Beer. Some of the most reccomended places are Hidden Tresure restaurant, Carambas,Blue Water Grill,Elvis Kitchen.

9. Wwhat are the pre-trip requirements (visa, inoculations, etc.) that we should be aware of.

I can only advise you to check with your local health proffesional on this point and they can reccomend the suggested shots. With regards to what to watch out for, nothing really most of us that have live in Belize for any period of time have not nor do not take precautions for anything other than a good mozzie repellant in the rainy season.

10. Is the time frame were are looking at a good time to even travel there?

What part of Dec ??? if Christmas weeks and New years as with everywhere expect places to be full and premium prices for those 2 weeks if beginning og Dec expect it to be quiet.

11. Should we use public transportation or rent a vehicle?

Public transportation is a no no I suggest renting a car and exploring for the mainland part of the trip and stay in different places this way you have freedom to take in as many attractions as possible,

Storing Gear

You may be able to store your gear at the local Airlines not 100% sure but you may be able to work something out other than that I am not sure what the other options would be.

With regards to safes in rooms some places have but all hotels have a hotel safe where you can store valuables.

regards

Gaz Cooper

We've done two trips to Belize. The first was 6 nights inland then 8 nights on AC. We did all the bookings ouselves. A rental car is probably not necessary inland. The ATM tour was probably one of the better things we've ever done. We also stayed two nights at Tikal so we could spend a good day and half there, it was definately worth it, not just for the Mayan ruins but walking between the ruins in the jungle, lots of spider monkeys in the trees and Howler monkeys in the distance.

We've also dived Curacao and I prefer the diving off AC because of the larger creatures, eagle rays, sting rays, nurse sharks and groupers.

I tell everyone I know going to AC to stop in at Fido, my favorite bar/restaurant in the Caribbean.

With regards to a rental car it really depends on how independant you like to be. If you dont rent a rental car you are stuck with organized trips and if in San Ignacaio staying at one of the resorts you can easily hop in the car and head into town. it jsut gives you freedom.

If you had a car you can visit the Belize zoo on the way to Cayo you can explore Mountain Pine ridge alone go to Xantunich alone, Cave Tubing alone Zip lining alone, however trips such as ATM definately need a Guide and some of the other trips.

So it really depends if you are adventurous and like exploring on your own or if you prefer to be guided for most trips.

I agree Fido s is a cool place I remember when it also had a hotel attached but thats long gone.

Gaz Cooper

Gaz,

Thanks for the reply. After 30 plus views and no responses, I was beginning to get worried that I might not get any responses.

The only show stopper, and believe me it IS a showstopper is the whole glove thing. I realize that you do not know me from Adam, and do not know my wife from Eve so let me explain. (You can tell me if the this will have an effect on the rest of the DMs down there. I’ve been trough this before….the DMs in Bonaire, Cuba, and Curacao said the same thing before performing a check out dive with us...after which they left us alone.

My wife and I routinely dive on 100 year old wooden wrecks. We have been trained/mentored by some of the better technical/cave divers in Ontario. We dive balancesd, technical rigs (and they travel with us weight airline weight restrictions be damned). What has this do with your locale? Well let's just say, with no arrogance or ego in play, we dive on wrecks up here where a single errant fin kick will break off 100+ year old lumber and we do so in vis that would make most blue water divers stay on shore (15 feet is considered good vis up here on some days). As we do not have coral in fresh water, and the temps are well below normal (65 degrees mid summer) for most recreational divers, as a result the wrecks are pristine and still look like wrecks but as a result are far more fragile than any reef out there. We never touch them, even accidentally.

We were trained from OW to where we are now in this environment. I have no issue if a DM wants us to do perform a check out dive, and if they want to do a PPB test, we welcome it.

Where am I going with this? Well frankly, if a check out dive is not sufficient for an exemption to this "rule" than us and our money will go elsewhere. We make no apologies for this attitude, but also respect the other side of the issue. For us, the absence of adequate environmental protection is a violation of our safety practices. I can understand how, with far too many 10 dive wonders crashing into reefs out there, how some areas "think" that gloves promote touching and seek to ban them, but that is purely an impression and not an actual fact.

No impact diving is far more than just keeping one's hands to themselves. There is excessive bottom stirring from flutter kicking, stage and pony bottle bumps, folks who dive with a ton of danglies (I've seen many DMs guilty of this) to scrape across coral, etc and even over strobing while taking photographs can have a negative impact in wildlife and environments. None of these we do.

Therefore, if you are telling me that local DM/DIs cannot make exemptions based on observed skill, then the whole thing is a moot point and we will go somewhere else. Our dive safety, which in a large sense boils one own to personal comfort level, is not subject to negotiation. All it takes in one single, undeserved, hit to cause an issue under water and suddenly a good day turns foul. We are not willing to compromise our safety to satisfy some arbitrary rule set down to address an issue that does not apply to us. Again, I apologize for sounding arrogant, but it is our comfort and safety that drives this issue, not some desire to break the rules.

As to the rest of your advice, thank you most sincerely, I obviously have more to investigate before I even think about booking.

We are looking at coming down during he Christmas holiday or perhaps the two weeks leading up to. Not much past that time frame.

Again thanks for pointing me in the right direction, it is grealty appreciated. Apparently I have some more research do to.

Safe dives, and Cheers!

Rick

diverrex
If you are not comfortable being specific as to the who and how you booked your trip feel free to send me a PM, If you are, could you please tell me the secifically who, what and where you booked your trip? Frankly, what you described is a very close fit to what we were looking for.

Hi Storm

Your preaching to the choir here and I agree with you however you are the exception rather than the norm where vacation divers are concerned.

The reason most gloves are not encouraged is exactly that, less expreinced divers wear gloves to pick stuff up touch things etc that they would not dream of doing if they did not wear gloves I am talking from a vacation diver standpoint not dives which require gloves.

You have expressed you have a potential fatal medical condition which would I beleive allow you to wear gloves due to that condition alone. In the normal dives you do as you describe gloves would be a necessity and I fully understand that, Your wife you indicated only wears gloves while on vacation due to cold.

to cut this down to the nitty gritty I dont think you will have a problem if you explain what you have explained here to your chosen dive operator.

Gaz

Hi Storm

Your preaching to the choir here and I agree with you however you are the exception rather than the norm where vacation divers are concerned.

The reason most gloves are not encouraged is exactly that, less expreinced divers wear gloves to pick stuff up touch things etc that they would not dream of doing if they did not wear gloves I am talking from a vacation diver standpoint not dives which require gloves.

You have expressed you have a potential fatal medical condition which would I beleive allow you to wear gloves due to that condition. In the normal dives you do as you describe gloves would be a necessity and I fully understand that, Your wife you indicated only wears gloves while on vacation due to cold.

to cut this down to the nitty gritty I dont think you will have a problem if you explain what you have explained here to your chosen dive operator.

Gaz

That's cool Gaz.

My resolve on the matter was based on my hope that a DM could observe and make exceptions based upon their assesments, and not have to follow some arbitrary rule. You seem to say that they can make decisions on their own, and that is a very good thing from my pont of view. In fact, my wife dives and has dived, with gloves on every one of her dives; local cold water and travel warm water. It's a part of her rig and part of her comfort level. I would not dream of asking her to step outside of that zone.

The whole reason I asked is that we once booked a trip to a certain "marine reserve" and were told that regardless of our skill, and the ability to demonstrate it, gloves were absolutley not allowed. They told me this on the boat, after I had sunk my money into the trip, and was stuck.

As a result I now ask well in advance, so I will not get stuck in that type of scenario. I fully respect the local authority's rights to set rules in their waters, but I also reserve the right to spend my hard earned cash in a manner I see fit.

Again thanks for your input.

I agree again with what you say although you just reminded me of the Hol Chan Marine Reserve which forbids the use of Gloves absolutely and it wont be at the Dms Discretion at the park (on the inside of the reef in the cut where the ranger is since he will be governed by the ranger that is stationed there to see that the rules of the park are followed.

Its a 30ft dive so you can skip that one

All other sites he can use his discretion but I would cover the issue prior to booking your diving.

regards

Gaz

We've spent 6 or 7 weeks in Belize, split between 2 trips. We set up our own lodging and tours and prefer public transit. No interest in Ambergris - too settled for us. We're not resort-types and prefer village lodging - the diversity of cultures in Belize is fascinating! I can't weigh in on the glove issue or lodging but here are 2 links that may be of interest:
My flickr photo site with travelogue/blog links on the main page of each collection
The CDC travel health page for Belize

Happy trails!

Back
Top Bottom