Belize vs. Dominica vs. St Kitts/Nevis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mitchw

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for advice from the well-traveled. My wife and I have narrowed our next vacation destination to Belize vs Dominica vs St. Kitts/Nevis. I am a diver and she is not...she is a horseback rider and hiker. By the looks of past forum postings St. Kitts/Nevis has only so-so diving. There are many great posts about Dominica but not much on Belize except for the blue hole. I'd love suggestions. We've been to Jamaica, Roatan, Turks/Caicos/ US VI and I've had some good diving but have not found the people terribly friendly. Would love a combo of both.

Thanks in advance!
MitchW

Wow, that's quite a variety.

I've been to all of them, but have no idea where to start, they are all so completely different. Have you done any research at all yet? Might be a bit easier if you have some specific questions. If you want just suggestions, then flip a coin and go to one of them, then later go to the next one on the next vacation and so on... :D

I've been to Placencia Village, Belize, so I can give you an opinion on that. I spent a couple of weeks diving with Splash Dive Center and had a great time, some great dives. We did make a trip to the Blue Hole, but from Placencia Village it's a long boat ride ride(about 4 hours if I remember correctly) and it's a deep dive (around 130fsw) to see the stalactites or stalagmites so it's a short dive unless you're doing decompression diving. The dives around Placencia Village were much better, especially Glover's Reef. For non-divers, there's some tours to nearby Mayan ruins and some zipline stuff in the jungle. The dive center included some of those in some of its packages if a person so desired. I was strictly in it for the diving though. I loved the dive shop, Splash Dive Center, in Placencia Village. Very friendly and accommodating. I'm pretty sure they could arrange those sort of tours for a non-diver without any problem. Placencia Village itself is small, and can be covered in most of a day. I found the people to be friendly and helpful enough. Some decent places to eat, a little shopping, a couple of bars I really liked (Pickled Parrot and especially Barefoot Bar, place really hops at night). It can get a bit crowded during high season, and my vacation spanned the start of that by a few days, and I did get treated to the spectacle of some pretty drunk and obnoxious rich brats running around, but they were the only unpleasant characters I encountered.

I've only done Belize via liveaboard, but some of the dive sites were absolutely awesome! Two or three were among the most beautiful I have been at in the Caribbean. I don't remember the names, but they were in the Belize National Marine Park system and I believe they are accessible from some of the island dive resorts. Dominica does not have such beautiful dive sites, but several are really interesting for other reasons (Champagne, for example). The hiking and sightseeing activities on Dominica are rather remarkable, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom