Benchmade Model 7?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTerp

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Any comments on the Benchmade Model 7?

7 Details | Benchmade

It looks like a pretty decent product, although I would worry about it rusting from exposure to the water. The corrosion resistant models might be promising. $50 seems somewhat reasonable, and Benchmade is a pretty reliable company. What do you guys think?

Kalani (Compudude on the forum) has several of these and loves them. IIRC he has the X-15 blades.

Since I haven't had any issues with my current knife(s), I don't have any myself, but will probably add the 7 Hook when I need a new one.

All the best, James

It's the best line cutter on the market today. Period. And I've done a LOT of research into this and tried and discarded a LOT of other options.

Durable and solid as heck. Rust proof (or at least rust proof enough that it'll be rust free when you give it to your kids), unlike the Z-Knives that are cheap and work well until they rust through within 6 months (referring to the X-15 blades, of course, which I use and abuse in salt water). Takes a razor-sharp edge, and keeps it (unlike anything out there made of Titanium). Comfortable to hold and use, even with drygloves on. Cuts through 2" webbing like butter. It's freaking amazing.

The only issue is the case. The one it comes with it probably fine, but it doesn't work well with where I want to put it, so I've tried a couple of options. Lost one cutter this way. Oy. Still trying to find the perfect solution to holding it. But there are no issues whatsoever with the blade itself.

Best price I've found is here (I've ordered 3 from them so far): Benchmade 7 Rescue Hook Strap Cutter X15-TN Steel 4.3" Overall, Black Sheath Model 7BH20W - Knifecenter.com

Perfect. My little razor blade line cutter is getting pretty rusted and I wanted to take a look at another option. What options have you looked at for retaining it?

Perfect. My little razor blade line cutter is getting pretty rusted and I wanted to take a look at another option. What options have you looked at for retaining it?

I tried the stock case, which held it fine, but just didn't sit well on my harness, where I wanted to carry it. I want to carry it on my shoulder strap, which really requires a vertical alignment, in line with the webbing, and the stock case uses a military plastic snap that works well on a belt (vertical orientation is good there) but doesn't work well when the strap is vertical, since it puts it sideways.

I've also used the case that came with the OMS Titanium line cutter (similar price, similar durability, not-so similar cutting ability), which rides perfectly, but it's a smidge small... which, I suspect, is probably why the velcro apparently opened up during a dive and sent my rescue hook tumbling unnoticed into the depths. :(

My replacement rescue hook arrived a couple of days ago but I haven't had time to sit down and work out what I want to try next.

I bought one of those on Kalani's recommendations. I have mounted it on the right shoulder strap of my harness, above the D-ring.

I use 2 rubber bands/bicycle inner tube. The top band (nearest the BP) is about 3/4" wide and goes on the outside of the stock case at the very "bottom" so it doesn't cover any of the velcro. The other band, about the same width, but could be wider, goes around the "bottom half" or "back" of the flap of the stock case about level with the stitched in elastic. I just for fun tried putting 2 bands there, and that firms up the mounting further - plus, the rubber ads a bit of "stiction" so the hook doesn't slide out so easy.

I've only tried that set-up on a few local quarry dives. But I'd be comfortable diving it like that. As long as the flap velcro stays closed, the hook isn't going anywhere.

Henrik

I bought one of those on Kalani's recommendations. I have mounted it on the right shoulder strap of my harness, above the D-ring.

I use 2 rubber bands/bicycle inner tube. The top band (nearest the BP) is about 3/4" wide and goes on the outside of the stock case at the very "bottom" so it doesn't cover any of the velcro. The other band, about the same width, but could be wider, goes around the "bottom half" or "back" of the flap of the stock case about level with the stitched in elastic. I just for fun tried putting 2 bands there, and that firms up the mounting further - plus, the rubber ads a bit of "stiction" so the hook doesn't slide out so easy.

I've only tried that set-up on a few local quarry dives. But I'd be comfortable diving it like that. As long as the flap velcro stays closed, the hook isn't going anywhere.

Henrik

Well, it's the Velcro that failed my lost hook. But the Benchmade case is more made for the tool, so I agree that would probably work better.

That's an interesting idea, to use the inner tube bands to give the OEM case something horizontal to grab onto. I may have to give that a try. Either that or take the case to a shoe repair place and have some horizontal loops sewn onto the case, to thread the shoulder strap into.

How are you liking the hook itself?

I have owned one for 6 months (rust resistant model) and forget to rinse it generally and it show no sign of rust. It slices through kelvar....enough said. The sheath it comes with is fine. I feel it's best situated on my waist webbing due to the design...Got idea from fdog and others chatting on TDS back then...

Either that or take the case to a shoe repair place and have some horizontal loops sewn onto the case, to thread the shoulder strap into.

How are you liking the hook itself?

I was trying to avoid having to re-thread the harness just to rinse/soak the sheath. Also, I don't think I need it on every dive. Hence the "quick" install idea.

I really like the hook. Great ergonomics, quality construction, and the hook itself is *scary* sharp. I have a thing for quality tools, and this one was a really good purchase. Miles ahead of the other 2 options I bought and returned.

Henrik

I have owned one for 6 months (rust resistant model) and forget to rinse it generally and it show no sign of rust. It slices through kelvar....enough said. The sheath it comes with is fine. I feel it's best situated on my waist webbing due to the design...Got idea from fdog and others chatting on TDS back then...

I was trying to avoid having to re-thread the harness just to rinse/soak the sheath. Also, I don't think I need it on every dive. Hence the "quick" install idea.

I think that was probably me, cheerleading these things on TDS. :)

I never rinse my harness. Ok, maybe once in the past year? I dive only salt water. My hook only comes out of the sheathe... on the harness... for very occasional use. The other 365 of the year, it lives in the sheathe, full time, always.

The night I lost it, I had pulled it out to cut some cave line (tying on a bolt snap in the parking lot... recall, that sucker is scary sharp, so it's often better than most knives!), and there was not a spec of rust or any sign of corrosion on it whatsoever, after many months of salty soaking and drying.

I don't plan to worry about it at all. That's precisely what I look for in dive gear. Stuff I don't have to worry about, stuff that I can know beyond any reasonable doubt is going to serve it's purpose when I reach for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom