Bends possible while flying 24 hrs after a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr Deco once bubbled...
Hello pasley:

There are various factors that will influence the outcome of a laboratory test of DCS risk....Exercise is a large factor, both while on the bottom and following pressure exposure. In all tests, the subjects are never asked to move heavy objects (e.g., scuba tanks) around the laboratory. This exercise would put you at risk above the tested limits of the table if you did it on your own.
Dr Deco :doctor:

Doc Deco has raised some extremely troubling points along the way in this forum, not the least of which is the idea that a lot of the testing procedures do not take into account "real-world" procedures and practice! I think that my question would have to be: "What is our work-around as divers to protect ourselves against this very problem, Doc? Is there anything other than just going to a higher 'conservatism' factor, and avoiding exercise after the dive?" (Sorry, Doc, I guess that's two questions!)

Hello B J D:

Work Arounds

To my knowledge, this aspect of nuclei concentration reduction is the best that can be done. It hits the problem at its source. It is not generally discussed by diving organizations – except in this FORUM where it is discussed ad nauseum.

Dissolved inert gas will be eliminated relatively rapidly from tissues, but nitrogen that is in the gaseous form , i.e., in bubbles, is eliminated more slowly because it is at ambient partial pressure (plus some from surface tension). While tables will give us a “gas partial pressure map,” it does not indicate the number of tissue nuclei. Currently, this is not possible to assess unless you depressurize. That is sort of a post hoc answer – not really very useful.

Possibilities

The “arrows in the quiver” are three.
  • Keep the gas loads as low as possible during the first few hours after the final dive (to prevent the growth of nuclei into bubbles),
  • Do not participate in strenuous activities since these are nuclei-forming events, and
  • Drink water (not beer), since it has the highest surface tension (72 dynes/cm) of any fluid compatible with life.
Dr Deco :doctor:

Well, I got back from Bogota, Colombia on Monday. I didn't do any diving but certainly a good place to do the Altitude Diving specialty, in the Guatavita Reservoir, where they submerged a whole town. T

The flight in from San Andres Island was via an AeroRepublica DC-9, which correct me if I am wrong, would have be at least 30 years old and probably more like 35. Don't know how many holes it had in it, but definitely I felt the pressure changes ascending and descending more than the Air Transat A-320 from Toronto.

Well, no immediate affects the night I got in, but the next morning I had a feeling of pressure on my whole cranium, not just sinuses like after a dive. Bogota is at 8500 feet. For 2 days I had this headache. And I was abit breathless walking up the stairs at a Cathedral - really cool, actually a salt mine that has been excavated into a huge place of religion. That was the extent of my altitude sickness symptoms. For those who are interested, Bogota was really modern and the North section totally secure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom