Beneath The Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaGhrl

Reaction score
Well...Just got back from The show, was pretty much what I expected.
HOWEVER, IMHO there were too many travel booths..Its nice to have a few, but the place was over run..i would have liked to see more domesticlly located shops w/ information about diving in their area...
I mean I totally understand why they were there, but it was a waste of time for me...Just my .02...

On the other hand, they had some GREAT seminars..
First seminar we went to was about macinaw(sp) island, mi...all the wrecks up there are realitively shallow with great viz..thats if you can stand the cold waters...bottom temp is like 52 ..Thats in Sept.

Second one was about Salomon Islands. A non for profit orgainzation (Cambrian Foundation) was sent to The islands to find a wreck pull up a thermometer, and a hydrometer..the video he shot was amazingly beautiful. The wreck was intact with torpedo holes intact..I think they said they were the first to explore the wreck...The ships name was the Atlanta..Very Deep.

Third one was Photo Composition, blah, blah, blah...Im not in to Underwater Photog..Talk to my better half, "hooked4life"..But there were some beautiful pics !

The fourth and by far was the best. Vince Bologna, with the maritime& northeast Historical Society...Talked all about shipwrecks off of NJ and all the gold that has washed up on shore. He speaks of pirates and the vast treasure that can be found in the uncharted waters off of NJ..Its pretty amazing how many wrecks have yet to be discovered...

Since being certified last year I have not been interested in diving in the 'murkey' waters off of NJ....However, my eyes have been opened and hope to get in a few dives off of NJ this summer..
Thanks Vince !!! He is a great speaker, if any of you get a chance to see him; its a must do !!!!

Overall , the seminars were far better then the show itself !!
Cant wait till next year !

~Becky.:)

The convention are was really too over crowded with travel booths. The seminars were definately worth going to. The Photo Composition seminar was very good. The speakers gave some very good info and some good tips. I was going to ask them why do they still use film. ? :tease:

Vince, had so much information to share about NJ shipwrecks. This guy has done so much research on this subject that it is really awesome. He has more information to share then you can read in any book about this subject. They even had to tell him that it was time to end the talk. :) Really good stuff here...

Overall we had a great time and I hope others have enjoyed it also.

Yea, the over-running of travel folks was an issue last year as well. However last year they were at least basically all together. This year they are a little more dispersed through everything. However they seem to be a little less 'engaging' then they were last year; Not as much pulling you out of the aisle to hock their wears. I've not once had to use my "I'm sorry, your water temps are about 40 degrees higher than ideal" to get them to shut up yet.

Yes, the seminars have been great. I missed a couple this morning due to needing to return to bed to sleep off a slight tequila problem; but I did get to see Dan Crowell's talk about the USS Murphy [after Kevin McMurray pointed me to it, telling me that they are working on a book on the subject next year]. I took a nap and got back in time to catch the end of the 'straits of mackinac' talk. Good stuff, but I felt that they sounded too much like a documentary. I like speakers that talk to the audience better. I hit Bielanda's U853 talk, which had some truely remarkable video footage. The Lusitania talk was interesting, but it was a shame that the tech problems resulted in near-to-no visuals. Oh well...

The film festival was so-so. A couple of the things I've seen before. Al Giddings did the same show as he did at SeaRovers a few weeks back. Jim & Pat Stayer showed their film about the wreck of the Cedarville, which I saw last year either at SeaRovers or Beneath the Sea. A lot of the Blue Planet footage I've seen before, but it's still incredible to see; so I didn't mind that.

If anyone is coming tomorrow [er... today now]; say hi! I'm the guy in shorts, sandels, a red marker hat, and a knee brace :) I'll probably be in the holiday inn most of the day...

I just got back form the show myself. I thought they had alot of BS travel stands too. I would much rather had been able to see and talk to more local (NY, NJ), diving trips. Unfortunatly, I has no idea they were giving seminars, and talks and film shows. I was too lazy to grab the book thing they were giving out at the door. Oh well, I'll have to remember that for next year. I thought the shgow was pretty cool though. I was able to meet and see the Bare stand and guys and suits. I finally got to see what my Bare ATR HD suit look slike other than in a mag. LOL I should have it any day now it just shipped out over the weekend.

I picked up:

a Dutch Springs season pass (60$ less than the current price, will pay for itself after 5 dive days, definitely worth it),

a new, Seaview, low vis mask (at a WHOPPING discount),

some Manta spring straps for my rocket fins (same price as I could have paid on ebay when you factor OUT the shipping charges),

a pocket mask,

a new, custom fit, 7 mm dry suit hood with face seal and rear zipper in the exact colors of my choice.

Yee Ha!

:D

Passed up the O2 analyzer but I might still call the guy back and get one shipped to me. I can't decide whether to spring for Oxycheck or go for the el cheepo.

:confused:

I checked out the Bare Velocity suits with the stretch panels. They look like just what the seamstress ordered. I might spring for one to replace the henderson hyperstretch that behaves more like a big, black, squishy sponge than a wetsuit.

raviepoo once bubbled...
I picked up:

a Dutch Springs season pass (60$ less than the current price, will pay for itself after 5 dive days, definitely worth it),

60$ less then current price ? 110$? thats what we paid, only they made you get the passes before 2/28 !! If i would have known, I would have waited !!!

I got a good discount on an Manta Jr. reel. they threw in the side mount light hookup all for $110.00. Very nice I been wanting to get my hands on one of those reels for a while. Picked up a dry suit hanger too and the threw in the glove and hood attatchment for drying as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom