Beqa Island, Fiji : Help ID'ing Clams and a Beautiful Fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmb122mp

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Recently returned from a fantastic time on Beqa Island, Fiji. I have two photos of critters and I'm interested in ID'ing them. Thanks in advance for any/all help in ID'ing them.

Photo 1: I've tried searching for "red hairy clam" and, unfortunately, I get the results you'd expect. :(

two-clams-web-size-01.jpg

Photo 2: Beautiful fish... my best guess is a juvenile emperor angelfish but all the photos I've seen online are all blue. Not the blue/black/white/blue bands in the photo.

unknown-fish-shore-dive-02-22-web-size-01.jpg

Cheers,

Jim

PS: First time posting images in a post... hoping they come out correctly.
PPS: Edit: Thanks tursiops... got the images right this time.

Last edited:
Try again with the photos....

Not my ocean but if I saw a fish like that off NC or in the Caribbean I would say an immature angle fish of some type. The immatures are shaped like that, have dark and colorful coloration different from the adults and often have some sort of vertical curved stripes all of which your fish has.

That could also be some phase of a Koran Angefish. It's hard to tell from your shot but it should have a gray face if it is.

103200L.jpg

I'm with diversteve on this one. Koran (also called Semicircle) angelfish, late juvenile transitioning to adult phase. See top of page 37 in the Allen et al Fish ID book for the Tropical Pacific.

The clam is hard to ID (small pix, no size scale) and I'm not even sure what part of the picture you are referring to! If the blue-lined clam-thing in the center of the picture is your question, I doubt the red part is anything other than external algae, possibly on an oyster. If the thing in the crevice to the upper-left of the blue-lined thing is your question, then you might look at fileclams.

Very much appreciate all the help thus far. Sorry for the lower quality pictures, I'm actually pulling frames from a GoPro Hero2.

I've added arrows to the "clam" photo. It's actually 2 "clams" (or what I'm calling clams at this point). They reminded me of a venus flytrap. Their diameter is slightly larger than a man's fist... roughly 5-6 inches in diameter. The bottom "clam" was actually opening and closing rapidly as I approached (opening to about 1.5 inches).

I only saw the 2 on the dive the image was taken. One other dive I saw about 6-10 of them on the side of a tall coral wall. All of them had the red coloration. The bottom one in the photo is the only one I saw moving.

Cheers,

Jim

two-clams-web-size-02.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom