Beqa Island Hit by Cyclone Mick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KUFan452

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After a stressul decision, I booked my Fiji dive trip with Lalati on Beqa Island. I just received an email from the resort saying that Lalati took a direct hit from Cyclone Mick and the resort is shut down through January. Luckily, it doesn't sound like anyone was hurt. I'm now off to rebook my mid-January stay. Any suggestions? We have 5 days to dive.

Thanks! I still have concerns about Wananavu and a recent dive report confirms my concerns. I think Somosomo and Taveuni win for a better chance of actually getting to the good sites, but it will depend on what is available on short notice.

Unfortunately Lalati did have some serious damage and they are closing until 01 Mar so that they can do a thorough cleaning, replanting of gardens, painting and repair. Beqa Lagoon Resort had only minor damage and are back up and running. As far as I'm aware the resorts on Taveuni are all OK as well as the ones on Kadavu. Beqa Lagoon is offering a big discount for the last week or Jan, as they had a group cancel.

After a stressul decision, I booked my Fiji dive trip with Lalati on Beqa Island. I just received an email from the resort saying that Lalati took a direct hit from Cyclone Mick and the resort is shut down through January. Luckily, it doesn't sound like anyone was hurt. I'm now off to rebook my mid-January stay. Any suggestions? We have 5 days to dive.

I'd strongly suggest somewhere in the north (e.g. Taveuni, Qamea, etc.), as the cyclone missed them totally. I was in Beqa right after the cyclone, and the visibility was pretty poor (and the visibility is usually better in the north even without cyclone effects). In general, the northern islands (including Taveuni, Savusavu, etc.) have slightly warmer and clearer water, and weren't hurt by Mick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom