Bermuda Trip Report Nov 2-6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulwall

Contributor
Reaction score
I just recently got back from Bermuda, and had a good time diving with Blue Water Divers (www.divebermuda.com) in Southampton (at Somerset Bridge). The Company uses a Newton 32 which was very comfortable (except when jammed with 15 divers), and very un-resort-like (this is a good thing, to me). Emphasis was placed on the diver's responsiblity for his own actions, and to respect the environment. Although the boat briefing was long, no mention was made of O2 or Lifejackets (both of which were available, but not mentioned). More was made of how to exit and enter the boat, and to be back at or before the time/air limit. The staff were all super-courteous and friendly, and we had one or two very minor diver panics that were handled well, IMO. All of the staff were instructor-level. When acting as DM's, it was specifically mentioned that they were guides, only, not the "group buddy". For the first time in my life, I was rejected as a third in a buddy team. This worked out well for me, as I got to team with a very experienced expatriate who showed me around Blue Hole. By the second day, the boat let me do my own thing and show others around.

Air/Water temps were pretty constant and similar at ~75*, and the weather was variable (higher winds caused some chop on a couple of days). I've learned that certain terms are subjective - Bermuda's rough was my "choppy" (of course, my "rough" would be an east Coaster's "good day"). Bermuda's "cold" was my "comfortable", etc. I would have to classify the diving as easy/very easy and shallow (I never got below 40ft on any of my dives). The Coral is varied and healthy, althogh the fish life was somewhat absent (I did see a huge hogfish, and several large snapper). Primarily, I found lots of juveniles, cleaning stations, and tropicals). Other interesting fish were pipefish, cowfish (my personal favorites), and lizardfish. Larger schools hovered over the reef- primarily pompano? and small snapper.

Primarily, the AM 2-tank dive was a reef/wreck combo, in various orders. I dove "Blue Hole" - a roughly circular formation of coral with a tunnel entrance. Very cool, and a fun current ride into the entrance. Next came the Lartington wreck (late 19th century freighter). I realized that these wrecks were so much older than I was accustomed to, and so shallow, that they often were indistinguishible from the surrounding reef. I got sidetracked on this dive, and had to surface (from 15ft) to get my bearings.

Day 2 was the Badlands reef which is gorgeous, and the Montana/Constellation (a sidewheel paddlewheeler and a 1941 sailing cargo ship) wreck which was incredibly interesting.

Day 3 was the Darlington and Half-Moon reef.

Day 4 was the Marie Celeste (a sidewheel paddlewheeler, Civil-War era) wreck and Southwest Breaker reef(lots of swim-throughs and wreckage).

Day 5 was back to the Badlands and the Monatana/Constellation. I spent more time on the Constellation this dive. Very interesting area, covered in artifacts.

All in all, I had a great time. I met and dived with some new people who had never heard of Scubaboard, from a 75-dive buddy to a REEF conservetor (both, coincidentally, from Massachussets). Even a couple of fresh from OW/AOW divers, and an "Introduction to Scuba" class on the last day.

I realize now that there is a whole other side to Bermuda that I haven't dived. I'll have to go back one summer and dive the North/East end.:D

Thanks, too. Planning to head over there late March, and was concerned about water conditions. Your report for November has alleviate some of my concerns.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom