Best BCD Tank Strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

avengedkevinfold

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey guys, I've always used my default tank strap that "folds over" - very similar to this product below.

Default Strap
Highland by XS Scuba Clinch Tank Cam Straps Pair at LeisurePro

After doing lots of shore diving in Kona this past month, I started getting tired of "lifting" the entire BCD + weights + 1st stage + regs off the tank and onto the new tank to switch tanks. This is just way too much work.

I've seen straps before that simply unclip completely so that the tank can be removed, and place the new tank in the slot for the strap to hug and then click. This avoids the hassle of trying to lift the BCD with all the weights. Just swap tanks.

Does anyone have suggestions or links to these types of straps?

I've heard that scubapro and aqualung are starting to make these straps but can't find them. I know that sports chalet rental gear sometimes has a really nice strap with a metal latch that makes swapping tanks 100 times easier.

Thanks

Scubapro tank straps are very reliable, never a loose tank in 850 dives for me. Maybe not the easiest to switch between 7 1/4 inch and 8 inch diameter tanks. I very rarely dive 8 inch tanks but have my strap marked for the switch. Not a problem for me

Those highland quick release are what I use, they are great. Having said that I find it easier to still lift the BC up and over the tank with the buckle still coupled, than to uncouple and rejoin them, as you have to loosen the strap to do so. If that's too much work you must have an extremely heavy BC or a lot of integrated weight.

I have two tank straps on my BC. I have a scubapro type strap on the bottom and a standard cam band on the top. I unbuckle the bottom strap so I only have to lift the BC over the top cam band. Makes changeovers easier and two straps keeps my tank nice and secure.

Another vote for the Aqualung straps. They have the advantage of being quickly adjustable if you switch between 8-inch and 7.25-inch tanks. I have two of them on my BP&W.

either way you look at it you have to pick the bc up and support the weight, so you don't save much with the QR versions of the buckles. Better solution would be to stop using so much weight and/or redistribute it. Going to Steel 72's even which can be had for almost nothing saves you 5lbs on the belt right away. With an AL80, stab jacket, and 3mm suit you should be using no more than 10lbs of lead, if you can't pick up 10lbs of lead, 5lbs of bc, and about 2lbs of regulators every hour to change, then you're in the wrong sport or need to hit the gym....

Or, you can lift the tank out of the straps, and slide a fresh tank in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom