Best Brockville Area Dive Sites To Take Newly Certified Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am going to second and third the advice for Centeen park, Connestoga and Rothesay as being appropriate sites for a new diver with no post certification dives.

The boat dives are more problematic. The Gaskin is just a bit too deep as PADI OW is only good to 60 feet and the Gaskin is deeper than that for the most part. IIRC is usually 72 at the stern but the water is higher now.. The Lillie has far too much current on it right now for it to be an enjoyable experience for a new diver.

I'd recommend 4 shore dives and save the boat dives for when she has more experience.

The Kingshorn off Rockport is a pretty good option, I have used it for newer divers. The top of the wreck is still within OW limits, and even if one were to drop 80' is about the max you will hit to the bottom, current is also lower on this wreck. So this might be an option as well.

Are you sure about that? IIRC the bottom is around 90 feet.

Ash Island and Club Island drifts would be more appropriate in the Rockport area, I think. You can pick your depth and enjoy the rock formations, fish and maybe even find an old bottle or two.

Thanks everyone for their input so far. My friend's open water certification dives were postponed until this coming weekend where she will be at Centeen Park. I plan to go to Brockville the following weekend to dive with her. We will likely do two dive sites out of the following; Centeen, Rothesay, Conestoga and Gaskin (as the only potential boat dive). Given current August conditions, any updates or opinions which two would be best for her as a new certified diver, ie., the easiest two out of the four in terms of both handling potential current and navigation?

I just did the Gaskin on Wed evening and the current was way down (next to none) (we also did the Lillie Parsons and there the current was very strong and swirling).
Now on the question of which sites for a newly certified diver:
- Centeen is the easiest however given she is certifying there the question is do you/she want to do another dive there
- Rothesay is next in some way (less current and easy access) however there is a longer swim to get to the wreck. If she (and you) is reasonably fit then there shouldn't be any issue. The last time I did this (2-3 weeks ago) the visibility wasn't good so make sure you know where the line is on the wreck so you can find the exit. I would suggest that you check each others air once you get to the actual wreck so you know how much was used on the way out to calculate how much will be needed to return.
- Conestoga, the road is now open and when I was on it a week ago the current appeared to be "normal". The current on the drift through the Galop Canal was still a bit stronger than normal however I would not suggest doing the drift with a new diver. The wreck is a good option as you are close to shore and the current on the wreck should be manageable.
- As I said at the beginning the current on the Gaskin was very low on Wed. You will need to arrange a boat dive for this site (obviously) and this is the deepest site of the four (and will be your buddies first dive to this depth so use appropriate caution).

Back
Top Bottom