best cenote for new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CJ76

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm going to be in PDC in October and i was wondering what, if any cenote is the easiest and safest for a new diver? I know that many do not agree with newbies doing these dives, but i'm not sure when i'll ever get back to the area to do this again. thanks for the input.:idk:

Looking at your profile you are not cave trained?

So if you are going to dive them without any training, the answer to: which cave is safest for a new diver?

None of them. All can and kill you and you are advised to stay out.

If you want to get a taste of the caves down in Mexico, go with a guide who can set you up with a cavern tour.

Unless your buoyancy, control and spacing are really good, which is unusual but not unheard of for a newly minted diver, it's hard to call any of them "easiest or safest".

Even for cavern you'll be in an overhead environment for much of the dive which can add a lot of stress to a newb diver, combine that with the damage that can be done to the cenotes running in to things and all the other things you'll be concentrating on (limited vis due to halocline, air consumption, equipment, etc.) this could turn ugly for you, the DM, a buddy or the cenote in a hurry.

This sounds like one of those situations where the opportunity presents itself at the wrong time and you'd be better off coming back when you've logged more dives. Better to err on the side of caution, enjoy the ocean dives and leave the beauty of the cenotes for another trip.

If you DO decide to give it a go I'd highly recommend doing some ocean dives with your chosen shop first and then asking them for an honest assessment of whether you've got the skills and comfort level for the cenotes.

I don't endorse cenote tours for new divers, because I don't think anybody belongs in an overhead, even in a limited and highly supervised way, until they know how they'll react when they have a problem underwater. I also hate to see damage to the caves.

But if you are looking for the least "overheady" tours, I'd say Ponderosa (Cenote Eden) and Carwash would be good choices. Ponderosa has a good view of strong ambient light throughout the tour, as does Carwash (depending on how the guide routes you). Those tours also stay in fairly large spaces.

You can request those sites, but the tour operators often go where the whole group wants to go, unless you hire a private guide.

You could opt for a snorkel tour. this would show you what the cenotes are all about.

I've only dove Chac Mool... which was on my 4th or 5th dive after certification. I don't want to step on the toes of others above me, for what they say is definately good advice, but I will still say that they were freakin' awesome and I reccomend it. Just understand what you are getting yourself into (you're in an overhead environment with no easy escape), request to be right behind the divemaster, and don't do it on your first dive of the vacation. Give yourself a few dives beforehand to get re-acclimated with being underwater and get a hold of your buoyancy and you should be fine. They are truly magical and quite breath-taking. If you are uncomfortable in confined/dark spaces or can't keep your cool when panic arises, don't do it.

I was in the Riviera Maya in April and did my first Cenote dive at Chac Mool. I have about 15 dives after ow certification and was very comfortable diving it. It was awesome and I would highly recommend it. It was more wide open than I expected, and it was Beautiful!
You do use a light when diving it. If you are comfortable and confident with your skills you should be fine.
Get a very good divemaster that is also comfortable with your skills and you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom