Best current table for ten mile & clover point

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warthaug

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was wondering which current tables peoiple found to be the most accurate for 10 mile and clover point (Victoria). There are two tables I've found which essentially overlap right on ten mile - boundary pass (US tables) and Juan de Fuca East (Canada tables). The reason I ask is that they vary (in terms of slack times) from as little as ~7 minutes t as much as an hour. So I was wondering which one people think matches the victoria area the best.

Also, does anyone have any experience with xtide? I was wondering how well it compares to the official government current tables.

Thanx

Bryan

I use the Current Atlas Juan de Fuca strait to Strait of Georgia. The only way the get in the water at Ten miles pt and not get carry away by the current is to sit on the tail gate of my truck about 1/2 to 45 minutes before the slack and wait until it slow down. I have friends which use different kind table and we all do the same.

For Ten Mile Point, I use the "Race Passage" current table. You minus 15 minutes, which gives you the secondary station of "Baynes Channel", which is right next to Ten Mile Point. I go in around 1/2 hour early to make sure I don't miss it. I haven't had much luck using the Race Passage current table at Clover Point. It seems to be a weird one to predict. I try to go there on days when there isn't much of a tidal exchange so there is a "window" of a few hours with little current. Every time I dive there on the "Race Passage" slack, there is still quite a bit of current. Lately I've been thinking about trying the "Juan De Fuca East" current tables for Clover Point and Enterprise Channel (since I've had no luck with the Race Passage ones). The weird thing is that "Juan de Fuca East" is sometimes a few hours different than the "Race Passage" slack even though Race Passage is in the Strait of Juan de Fuca.

Thanx guys for the replys. Obviously we need to watch for slack, I'm just trying to plan our upcoming trip, and the hour difference in the tables really changes the surface interval. Has a huge impact in the order in which we do some dives.

I'll use race passage -15min for planning, but we'll make a point of actually showing up 1/2 hour earlier.

Bryan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom