Best Dive Centers in Puerto Vallarta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mickeyman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am planning a trip to Puerto Vallarta in April 2010 and want to get in a few days of diving in while I am there.
I would really appreciate everyone’s opinion and experiences that have done diving there. Also all the help you can give on what are some of the good centers and if there are some too defiantly to stay away from.

I've been diving in PV a number of times -- most recently at the end of November. We had a private DM (had previously dove with Jean-Paul when he was with Pacific Scuba). We were on a small boat shared by small group of people from Banderas Scuba Republic and PV Scuba. My favorite dive in PV is Marietas Islands where there are a variety of spots to dive (nice wall, some swimthroughs, etc.), although it is a longer boat ride. It's always good to ask where the viz is best (north side, south side) since this seems to change quickly in the Bay. Have fun!

What is the average water temp during that time?
Also are dry suits available or should I count on bringing mine?

Temeperatures above the thermocline will typicaly be around 70 F that time of the year . The warmer layer can be 20-30 feet thick or a little more (varies a lot).

Under the thermocline temperatures can drop down to 60 F or the high 50s some times. This has been an El Niño year and the water has stayed warmer longer than normal. The phenomenon will change some time soon and the temps will start to nomalize.

If you own a dry suit do bring it down with 200 gram undergarments . You will enjoy your dives a lot more and will be able to stay longer under the thermocline, rentals are not availble at this time in the area but you can find DUI spare neck and wrist seals as well as steel tanks of different sizes.

Contact ali here at scubaboard, she has a lot of experience doing longer dives in the bay during cold water season.

Also stay tuned with the Puerto Vallarta dive report here at SB.

Last edited:
I went with PV Scuba last week and had a very good experience with them. They provided a 7mm wetsuit (in good shape, I should say), weights and steel tanks, otherwise I used my gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom