Best dive for visiting diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eric gundrum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

I'm a California diver planning to visit family just north of Dade City for the last week in March. I'd love to get in a day of diving while I'm there. (I've never dove in FL, though a we did try snorkeling with the manatees last year.) What would make for a really good day of diving within an hour or two drive of Dade City?

I don't dive solo; so I'd love to find a buddy for this. Even better is if this is something a group of locals would like to do.

Winter diving in west central Florida involves either a spring (temp 72) or one of the wrecks or artificial reefs off the Pinellas County coast. Springs include Ginnie Springs, Devils Den, Blue Grotto and Paradise Springs. You can check out any with one of many web sites on Florida Springs.

Gulf dive sites include the Orange Tug (50 ft) the Sheridan Tug a 180 ocean tug in 85 ft or the Blackthorne in 85 feet. Info on these sites can be viewed on several web sites for Tampa / St. Petersburg diving sites.

Let me know when you will be in the area. We might be able to get a group together if you want to do some Gulf diving. The springs are commercial operations and generally dive buddies can be found at the site.

Good advice from VJimScuba.
At the end of March, gulf diving will still be chilly and low vis, but it is better than sitting on the couch!
Please post dates you want to dive and your dive interests and locals can give you some different options.
Many of the springs have an overhead enivronment so you must be aware of this before diving.

Thanks for the responses so far. I'm excited by the prospect of finally diving in Florida.

My dates are not firm yet, but they will encompass some part of March 20 through March 30.

I did some exploring of the Springs online. Never having dived fresh water, I think this would be a great experience. Of the ones VJimScuba mentioned, Ginnie Springs looks like the best fit. (I don't have a Cavern cert, but I'm comfortable with not having a clear shot to the surface; I dive kelp forests a lot.) I also found Weeki Wachee <diveweeki.com>. I like the idea that it is closer, but their site doesn't describe much. Anyone got more info about it?

I'm not a big fan of deep wrecks -- I'm still learning how to sip air and I want as much bottom time as I can get. And I'm not certified for wreck or deep. I've done both supervised and I'm happy to do them again for a good site. What I enjoy most are the creatures of the sea, small as well as big. (I love seeing nudebranches, for instance.) Doing something different, like diving the springs also is appealing.

I normally dive in 54 degree water. I don't think I'd find your gulf all that chilly. :) Low vis would be a deterrent; I find it becomes much less fun below about 10 feet.

I dove Weeki once. It is crystal clear water max depth is around 45 ft. Depth is limited by the staff. The rule is in place due to an extremely high flow cave system that begins at the bottom of the spring. It is a nice site but not too much to look at. I believe you have to go with a group as well, I am not 100% on this. I've loved the above mentioned sites that I have visited and have heard nothing but positive feedback about the ones I haven't.

Another site that is a bit south of Weeki is the Hudson Grotto. Its a relatively low vis ~10-20 ft depening on depth (less if there are classes going on). The grotto is a love/hate site. I personally love it, I have logged well over 70 dives there in the last year and a half. At the same time, a a lot of people do not like it due to the poor vis.

I would be happy to dive with you while you're in town.
I'm dont have as much time lately to watch the forum here so e-mail is the best way to contact me. metcaltt@gmail.com

I think Weeki is still shut down

Weeki Wachee has recently been taken over by the state and is now a state park. I live very close to it and have dove it once. That was all it takes to see everything there!
If you decided to go to Ginnie I know a buddy of mine would love to go. The last time we were there he found a nice megaldon drift diving the river! The main spring at Ginnie is the only spring you will be allowed to penetrate with OW cert. The devils system of springs is CAVE only. OW divers cannot take lights into this system. The river is a potential place for artifact hunting. Many arrowheads have been found there.

Just make sure you don't dive with Reef, he is cursed!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom