Best Dive In SoCal in 2 Years

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jon C

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I don't usually feel complelled to start my own posts...there are so many great topics without my jumping in...but I had to speak about my local dive at Crescent Bay last weekend.

As most of the regulars know, while SoCal has great beaches, great weather, great divers and clubs...the conditions in the water usually leave much to be desired. Urban run off, cold currents, high surf...all contribute to murky vis, lots of shivers and entertaining entries and exits.

So, in spite of the fires blazing away, bad conditions predicted the day before, and the usual chilly water, my buddy and I were met with 25-30 foot vis and no surf. (Water still cold). Yes, I know many of you are laughing at the "25-30 foot vis"; but you are spoiled!!! The unfortunate winds that made the fires so bad also make the water clearer by pushing out the warmer, dirtier water and allowing clear, cold water to upwell and take its place. Probably the ONLY good thing about those winds.

Anyway, long story short, there was the added dimension of being able to see beyond "buddy distance" and it was long overdue.

At the end of our dive, I was looking at a reef about 30 feet away and it slowly disappeared right in front of my eyes...disolved!:11: As it vanished, the sand out in front of me seemed to be falling off into the abyss and the drop-off was getting closer fast. Scary, huh?

What it was: A huge school of topsmelt or sardines was going overhead without me noticing. They blocked the light out at the outer reef first and their sheer numbers gradually made the light hitting the sand in front of us diminish to the point of looking like a cliff was forming. The school, which had to be 30 foot minimum in width, went by for the next 20-30 seconds at quite a speed. Countless fish...simply amazing. As they finally went by, 4 seals were chasing the school and they put on the brakes to play with us for a few minutes....:D

Best Dive Here In Two Years!

Crescent Bay...its the first beach you can dive "legally" as you go down PCH from Crystal Cove toward Laguna. Turn right at the liquor store and loop back to the right at the end of that street.

Sounds like a cracker.

We would count 25 to 30 foot viz good here too. I know what you mean about th buzz of something really special at the end of a dive that was already a good one.

My theory is you won't know if you don't go, so just keeping going!

Alison

Nice report, thanks!

It's a pleasure to have something so memorable occur. And a pleasure to read about it! :)

Dave C

Sounds like a great dive! Crescent is just one over from Shaw's isn't it? I've dove Shaw's, but not Crescent. Based on your review, it sounds like I should do it soon! :)

Crescent Bay...its the first beach you can dive "legally" as you go down PCH from Crystal Cove toward Laguna. Turn right at the liquor store and loop back to the right at the end of that street.

You can't dive legally north of there?

Going again tomorrow. Hoping for something equally as cool.

alison: I assume "cracker" means something good in NZ. Here it is suppose to be an insult of some kind! The English language has sure taken a beating.

paradicio: Yes, one cove west (north?)

rick: From a boat, you can dive anywhere in Laguna, but some of the coves are gated communities and the one just north of Crescent is one of those. No beach access.

Jon

alison: I assume "cracker" means something good in NZ. Here it is suppose to be an insult of some kind! The English language has sure taken a beating.
Jon

I think 'cracker'' has contracted from 'cracker jack' which my concise oxford defines as 'exceptionally fine or expert (thing or person)' noting that it is slang..

Cheers :)
Alison

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom