Best Diving conditions in Oct. Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jc928tw

Reaction score
Hi All:

I am palnning a trip to Thailand in late Oct. We want it to be a land base trip so we can still enjoy the land activities other than just diving. From my understanding Phuket/Phiphi season will not kick in until Nov. and Samui/Koh Tao season are ending... Any suggestion is highly appreciated. BTW, Similan/Khao Lak is also in our consideration but it seems like it is not the season yet plus lack of nightlife is also a disaventage. Thanks in advance!

JC

Diving around Phi Phi and Koh Yoong (and staying in Phuket) is probably your best bet. The water won't be perfect, but you really don't have much choice in Oct, especially if you want nightlife. Hin Muang/Hin Daeng is another option, but they are quite far from Phuket and diving from a liveaboard is pretty much required (although getting a boat to run from Phuket is possible). Again the water won't be great, but whalesharks have been sited around Hin Muang/Hin Daeng in Oct.

Thank you Vie for your info. Can you elaborate a bit more on the "water" condition? Are you referring to vis or sea condition. I am assuming the weather should be ok right?

The weather should be ok, the only thing is that in October it can be a bit windy. Since normally at the end of October the wind has already changed direction, the waves it will still be very much ok.

You could consider doing a liveaboard or daytrips to the Similans, quite some boats are starting again in October, some haven't stopped at all and some are starting in November. But both daytrips and liveaboards are possible.

Also daytrips to Hin Daeng should be possible.

October is the start of the season, so you should be perfectly ok, both regarding the diving and the land based activities. Not overrun yet, but plenty of nice things to do.

jc928tw:
Thank you Vie for your info. Can you elaborate a bit more on the "water" condition? Are you referring to vis or sea condition. I am assuming the weather should be ok right?

sorry, I was referring to vis, which won't be so good around Phi Phi. Weather should be fine. From personal experience, I wouldn't recommend going to the Similans until after the end of December.

Don't agree with you there Vie.
The viz in the area depends very much on the currents, and on some of the divesites also wind and rains can influence it. It is really impossible to predict the vis one month ahead, there is as much a chance of good vis in October as there is in December or January.

Regarding Similans: the best vis you will have in November, December, and January, after that normally a lot of plankton comes in. That also means the chances of bigger life like manta rays increase after January, although we had a lovely manta season last year. Also because of the temperatures, I personally consider November the best month to go to the Similans.

thank you all for your kind advice, appreciate it! next step is get booking for flights, hotel and dive ops. Haven't been in Phuket for 4 1/2 yrs, can't wait to get there!

Jeff

hope you have a great time - I'll be diving around Phi Phi starting on 23 Oct. Hope to make it to Hin Muang/Hin Daeng on the 25th, conditions permitting.

stevenl:
Don't agree with you there Vie.
The viz in the area depends very much on the currents, and on some of the divesites also wind and rains can influence it. It is really impossible to predict the vis one month ahead, there is as much a chance of good vis in October as there is in December or January.

Regarding Similans: the best vis you will have in November, December, and January, after that normally a lot of plankton comes in. That also means the chances of bigger life like manta rays increase after January, although we had a lovely manta season last year. Also because of the temperatures, I personally consider November the best month to go to the Similans.

Steve, how about the period from end Jan to early feb? which site would you recommend if I'm putting up in Phuket?

If you want to do daytrips: my personal favorite is Anemone Reef. A bit further away but excellent diving: Hin Daeng/Hin Muang, and at that time of year there should be no wind at all.

And there's of course the Similans, also excellent conditions that time of year, but also the peak of the high season.

Back
Top Bottom