Best Diving conditions in Oct. Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suppose there has been a story on this in the Phuket Gazette, but I'm not sure about that.
But talking to the right people also gives very reliable information, and I also know the people at White & Blue. Mainly a Thai style operation, but they're trying very hard, and I tend to think this was a very unfortunate incident, unrelated to their operation. Although they did hire the DM of course, didn't instruct and check him enough, etc. But the DM's I know from W&B are always safety conscious.

Do you have any information on the PP Harmony liveaboard? How is the service and the diving procedure like?

Thanks in advance.

The boat is quite nice, and in general they offer very good value for money, that's one of the reasons I've chartered the boat for a 10-day trip in February.
You just have to keep in mind that the boat is Thai operated and that they have mainly Thai DM's, and in general they have a different safety perception than westerners do (regarding safety I have found that people from Hong Kong and Singapore have a similar perception as westerners).
Of course these are generalisations.

The Phi Phi Harmony has a good safety record, so I would not hesitate joining them.

stevenl:
You just have to keep in mind that the boat is Thai operated and that they have mainly Thai DM's, and in general they have a different safety perception than westerners do...

I'm intrigued by your statement. Could you elaborate please?

Yes, do elaborate on their perception of safety.

Was thinking of going on board for a trip up to the Similans later this month.

Of course these are all generalisations, and don't apply to everybody and always.

But in my experience, in general Thai DM's and companies are more relaexed regarding safety, they will e.g. more easily take OW divers without much experience down to 30 meters or even more than Western (or Japanese) companies will, in their briefings they will pay less attention to the dive procedures of the specific dive, etc.
So if you're a prudent diver and know what you're doing, no problem, but if you don't have much experience and really depend on your DM?

interesting comments as I have found in general that most dive companies dont seem to follow the rules very strictly . Some didnt even check my dive qualifications just accepting what I told them . ...and then as to the divemasters....well I know a DM has to start somewhere but I am always very wary of those DMs who have spent their whole diving career in one dive location and have basically gone from OW to DM in only a few months . As in shopping I think the motto has to be "diver beware"

Back
Top Bottom