Best Diving Guide Book for Caymans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lucidblue

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Trying to find a good diving guide book for the Caymans. B&N and Amazon have a bunch listed but not many user reviews. Has anyone used any of these:

• Diving Cayman Islands by Jesse Cancelmo (1997)
  • Complete Guide to Diving and Snorkeling the Cayman Islands by Lawson Wood (2007)
  • Diving the Cayman Islands: White Star Guides (2006)
  • Lonely Planet Diving & Snorkeling Caymans (2006)

You can't go wrong with Lawson Wood. I have dove with him on the Brac, and he is a great guy. Also, I have been fortunate to catch some of evening seminars at the Brac Reef. Can't help you with the rest as I consider Lawson's book the bible for Cayman.

I've picked up Lawson's book ... its nicely done and IMO, probably the best that's easy to find.

An old favorite that I have & recommend is Shlomo Cohen's Cayman Diver's Guide. Thsi book was published way back in 1991 (Seapen Press; ISBN 9653620053). Despite being dated, its illustrations were done as axonometric projections (eg, an Isometric view) to give you a "3D" image of the reef. This style has been copied by others, so its nice to see the original.

-hh

I've picked up Lawson's book ... its nicely done and IMO, probably the best that's easy to find.
An old favorite that I have & recommend is Shlomo Cohen's Cayman Diver's Guide. Thsi book was published way back in 1991 (Seapen Press; ISBN 9653620053). Despite being dated, its illustrations were done as axonometric projections (eg, an Isometric view) to give you a "3D" image of the reef. This style has been copied by others, so its nice to see the original.-hh

I resemble that remark...I have that book.

An old favorite that I have & recommend is Shlomo Cohen's Cayman Diver's Guide. Thsi book was published way back in 1991 (Seapen Press; ISBN 9653620053). Despite being dated, its illustrations were done as axonometric projections (eg, an Isometric view) to give you a "3D" image of the reef. This style has been copied by others, so its nice to see the original.

-hh

Gotta second this one. The Cohen book has been out of print for a while but you can find copies cheap. Great book. There are some discrepancies regarding certain sites around Brac but the psuedo-3D illustrations are very informative.

And Wood is the man when it comes to diving the Caymans (among other locations). In addition to his Dive Cayman book, you should also pick up a copy of his Shipwrecks of the Cayman Islands. It's a little harder to get than his other books since it's published in the UK (I had to order it directly from the publisher) but it's a wealth of wreck-site info for all wrecks on the three islands.

I had his local number last time I was on Brac but realized how dorky I would be calling this Dive Titan and asking to meet him like some bubble-gum popping, teen girl. Maybe someday. The guy knows his stuff and his writing keeps your interest.

Back
Top Bottom