Best diving in the Bahamas on March?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Juho

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm flying over to Miami on March 2011 and I was wondering what is the best diving available close by if I have about 1,5 weeks to spend? Bahamas comes with good recommendations and is close by but any other areas worth considering in the Caribbean?

I'd especially appreciate tips concerning scuba diving agencies organizing good value for the money (mini) safaris and the best dive sites. For me the best is big pelagics, good visibility, sharks and not so much macro. I think the season is also a major factor in many areas.

I will also appreciate any tips on good travel options from Miami to the location and back.

March has some of the best visibility of the year due to low plankton levels. Most places you dive in the Bahamas have shark dives. If you are looking for best value, Blackbeard's Cruises would give you that. It operates liveaboards out of Nassau. You could also cat Discover Cruise lines to Freeport. Freeport dive operator Unexso has both shark & dolphin dives.

I just returned from two Freeport dives with Unexso. Had a great time and they are a professional operation. They are, however, the primary excursion operator for the cruise ships so expect large crowded boats.

Another choice for a smaller operator is Fred Riger @ Grand Bahama Scuba. Have no experience with him.

I think you should seriously consider Lost Island Voyages. Drop them a line and see if you can jump in with a group during March 2011. Check them out at lostislandvoyages.com. We are off to a 10 day trip with them this August and this will be our 5th time with Ray on the Avalon.

Grand Bahama Scuba for boat dives. But if you want to dive the caverns and experience other amazing tours, Check out Calabash Eco Adventures. I promise you wont go wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom