Best Diving in the Florida Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,
I was planning a trip to the Florida Keys, sometime later this year (August-November) for a week or so. I was just wondering if anyone had a favorite Key to dive, favorite dive operation, or favorite dive site? I was also hoping to become Advanced Open Water Certified, so I would love to know what some of the best wrecks in the Keys are?
Thank You

Key Largo is very popular, and I've dove out of there. I've heard from a couple of other people that the upper keys have better diving than down toward Key West, though I wouldn't be surprised to see someone argue about that since I mentioned it. Out of Key Largo, and main 'signature' wrecks seem to be the Spiegel Grove and a pair of Coast Guard cutters, the Duane and the Bibb. Of the latter 2, the Duane sits uptight and the Bibb is on its side, and I'm told by boat crew the Duane has better sea life, and by a Captain that the Bibb becomes interesting after you've dove the Duane a few times. So if you get a choice between the Duane and the Bibb, I'd say pick the Duane.

I dove with Rainbow Reef Dive Center, which is very popular, but no one op. is 'best' for everybody, so I recommend looking at some of the forum threads discussing it. In a nut shell, Rainbow Reef is well-run and puts free guides in the water, but some people prefer smaller boats with a lower number of divers per trip. There are a number of reputable op.s in Key Largo.

Richard.

The best diving, or the best you can get to by car? The best diving hands down is west of Marquesas. If you don't take a liveaboard, take Finz Diving out of Key West.

What he said,once beyond the range of most dayboats and the effects of people you run into a lot more unspoiled and more populated reefs.The Marquesas start some 20 miles W of KW and there are reefs and wrecks all the way to the Tortugas.

Key Largo is very popular, and I've dove out of there. I've heard from a couple of other people that the upper keys have better diving than down toward Key West, though I wouldn't be surprised to see someone argue about that since I mentioned it. Out of Key Largo, and main 'signature' wrecks seem to be the Spiegel Grove and a pair of Coast Guard cutters, the Duane and the Bibb. Of the latter 2, the Duane sits uptight and the Bibb is on its side, and I'm told by boat crew the Duane has better sea life, and by a Captain that the Bibb becomes interesting after you've dove the Duane a few times. So if you get a choice between the Duane and the Bibb, I'd say pick the Duane.

If the OP's dive count is accurate, I'd advise him to wait to dive the Grove and Duane until he's developed quite a bit more experience.

I prefer the diving around Key Largo/Islamorada and tend to use Conch Republic Divers most of the time. There really aren't too many bad sites in the Upper Keys. I like the deep wrecks/reefs like Spiegle Grove, Eagle, Duane and Conch Wall but also enjoy some of the shallower sites such as Mike's Wreck, City of Washington, Pickles Reef, Hens and Chickens reef, Molasses, etc.

Carsten-

Enjoy the Keys!! its a beautiful place to dive. GREAT place for newer divers to suffer sensory dive overload..in a GOOD way lol.
In my opinion..Key Largo..has everything you want and need for a first "warm-water" dive trip..lots of sites, lots of ops, lots of choices. I personally..am a big fan of Horizon divers at MM100... I like the staff, the atmosphere, and the boat...easiest dive boat in the Keys to get back on if the sea's are running at all. Nice stable ride. Its geared toward a newer diver..but thats ok...lots of room, and very skilled, friendly and professional staff imo.
Rainbow Reef...same area...nice group...I enjoy diving with them as well. Younger group...but thats ok...lots of enthusiasm and a ton of fun...and free guides if your new and unfamiliar with the area.
Ocean divers..nothing bad to say..like them as well. I am NOT a fan..of Sea Dwellers...and I'll leave it at that.
The Pennecamp has lots of great diving...Eagle Ray alley often lives up to its name. Conch wall is a nice easy drift dive if any currents running. Anywhere on Molassas is a nice dive imo. Want lots of life?...Snapper ledge in daylight...and NO ONE..should miss a NIGHTdive on the Benwood. If your alittle uncomfortable...hire a private guide or a DM.. I LOVE the Benwood.
I'd stay off the Spiegel Grove at this point if your profiles correct...it can be a mind blowing dive in good conditions...it can also be a REAL task saturation exercise..if the current comes up during the dive. She'll still be their when you come back for more diving..and trust me..after a few days diving the Keys..you WILL want to come back for more lol. Log some dives and get comfortable..you'll enjoy her more than...jmo.
Have fun...and dive within your limits. The Keys dive ops WANT you to have a good dive. They WILL take good care of you...they work hard...I always try to take good care of them in return. They earn EVERY little penny.

Bubs

PS.... Conch House..coffee and Key Lime pie. Its better than S*x

Dennys Latin Cafe...pulled pork that will leave you crawling back to your hotel.

Sharkeys...well..lol... google it lol.

Benwood can be a good night dive. I used to like to go out to the City of Washington site at the Elbow back when Silent World ran night dives to that site, especially on full moons.

Just got done with a few days with Sea Dwellers. Had a GREAT experience. No reservations about recommending them whatsoever. Great operation.

Give serious thought to how up to par you are before attempting the Duane or Spiegel. We had a dive on the Duane that went from zero current to blow-you-off-the-wreck insane in a matter of minutes. Not that you couldn't do it with a good instructor, but you need to have your skills wired tight. I had my mask blown down off my face and around my neck as soon as I hit the deck. Not a pleasant experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom