Best Diving Movies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTwo:
Their were divers in Jaws?

"You go in the cage, cage goes in the water. Shark's in the water. Our shark."
-Quinn

Remember, they blew it up with a scuba tank?

A

The Big Blue, hands down, The best!

STOP!!!! Do not pre-judge this movie by it,s name. Do not rent it ..BUY it ! (ALIENS OF THE DEEP) it,s actually a documentary and it,s a stunning. I guarantee it will get your diving MOJO goin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Frogmen; a b&w classic featuring UDT ops in WW2.

AaronR103:
"You go in the cage, cage goes in the water. Shark's in the water. Our shark."
-Quinn

Remember, they blew it up with a scuba tank?

A
thats my favriote line...
espically the
"our shark"

The Abyss.

I can't believe only about 2 people mentioned it so far. i thougth everyone would say that one. Awesome action movie, regardless of the scuba diving.

And some little facts about the movie....

1. the rat does actually breathe that liquid, and survives. they got some of the real stuff for that scene.
2. when the movie came out, it set the record for most underwater footage in a movie
3. the cast and crew spent enough time underwater that they sometimes required deco stops
4. the helmets they used underwater were fully function, and custom made to clearly show the actors' faces

Austin

Latest compliation. Please feel free to modify:

Older movies (not in chronological order)

Beneath 12-Mile reef
The Frogmen
Raider From Beneath the Sea (1964)
Manfish - starring Jane Russell
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Jaws
Easy Come, Easy Go
Thunderball
Never Say Never Again
Blue Water, White Death
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
The Deep
Deep Star Six
Sharks Treasure (1975)

Newer movies (not in chronological order)

The Abyss
The Big Blue
Sphere
Zombie Holocaust
Open Water
Men of Honor
Aliens of the Deep
Deep Blue Sea
Finding Nemo
The Life Aquatic
Into The Blue
The Cave
Ocean Men (IMAX)

Foreign
The Dive (Norwegian or Swedish)

Video (not movie)
The Blue Planet DVD series

camshaft:
The Abyss.

I can't believe only about 2 people mentioned it so far. i thougth everyone would say that one. Awesome action movie, regardless of the scuba diving.

And some little facts about the movie....

1. the rat does actually breathe that liquid, and survives. they got some of the real stuff for that scene.
2. when the movie came out, it set the record for most underwater footage in a movie
3. the cast and crew spent enough time underwater that they sometimes required deco stops
4. the helmets they used underwater were fully function, and custom made to clearly show the actors' faces

Austin

Damn good movie. As a medical student I especially like the scene where he brings her back to life by slapping her repeatedly and screaming "Live!" I'll have to try that one day...

A

Both already mentioned, but my two favorites from the early days:

"Underwater!" with Jane Russell
"Frogmen" with Richard Widmark

I think "The Abyss" stands alone amongst a plethora of wannabes like "Deep Star Six" and "Sphere" that were all made about the same time. It's a shame "Sphere" wasn't more thoughtfully put together. Michael Chrichton is one of my favorite authors and the book was actually pretty good.

One that wasn't mentioned, but has a pretty good dive sequence is "After The Sunset" with Pierce Brosnan and Woody Harrelson. My wife rented it a couple nights ago and at first I thought it was pretty lame, but I perked up during the wreck diving scenes and had to skip back and watch that part again.

I haven't seen the video of the quest for the identity of the U-Who, but I did read "Shadow Divers" and thought it was great. Is the video an "Undersea Detectives" episode, or does it predate the series? "Undersea Detectives" is a pretty good show even though they rarely solve any mysteries, the underwater videography is first rate. John and Richie do keep you interested, even if they tend to get theatrical at times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom