Best East side dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think my only issue with Bas Tol is its from the shore, which from what I understand can be really tricky on the East side. We are both in good shape and work out daily, but my concern is a slip up and injury during a 2 week vacation. Maybe East Coast divers via boat is a better solution for our first time on the East side.

It was a few years ago when we went diving on the east side with Bas Tol. Our first dive was at Cai. I think of all our dives in Bonaire, this one had the easiest and most mild entry and exit. It was a longer swim out to the wall than most of our Bonaire dives, but noting too taxing. We saw dozens of tarpon, turtles, a giant green moray and even a nurse shark. We enjoyed this dive tremendously. After diving Cai, we loaded up in our pick up and headed to another dive site. For the life of me, I cannot recall the name of this site, except that it was incredibly remote. The entry was in a rocky area and the exit required repelling our gear up a small cliff. I will admit that the waves and rough entry were intimidating. For a few minutes Bass studied the site and the pattern of the waves. He deemed it unsafe in these conditions. We walked a short distance to explore a cave and headed back. He did not charge us for the second dive. I felt bad since it was something he had no control of. I appreciated his assessment of the sites and he was an excellent guide. Hopefully I will get a chance to dive with him in Feb.

I am also reminded of my first visit to Bonaire many years ago when I met a couple that had just returned from an east side night dive. Cai I think. Anyway, they were absolutely ecstatic about that dive. Now that is something I haven’t done and would be interested in if Bas offers it.

Precisely... Bas knows best.

We have done night dives at Lac Caí and other rather challenging shore dives with safe entries and exits only possible thanks to Bas's in depth knowledge of the area. We saw some unusual nocturnal critters too. He knows where they are and how to safely get in and out.

We did the boat dive too; however, while that experience was overall good... it was nothing to write home about, nor worth repeating.

Give it a try, if you have concerns about slips and falls, just discuss with Bas before hand... from our experience diving with him, I am convinced he will try his best to find a site within your expectations.

Enjoy your trip.
Ricardo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom