Best Gear Setup for Bermuda

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed66

Contributor
Reaction score
Hope this is the right spot, well here is my question, the wife and I are leaving for a Royal Caribbean cruise this Sun 10/7-10/12. We have 2 days in port (we are going for a wedding) so I only get one day of diving :( . I signed up for a 2 tank dive (approx 5hrs) 1st is a wreck at 50-80 ft and 2nd is reef dive. I have no idea of what to expect I tried to get in touch with RC's dive center to get my question's asked but did not get answers so here it goes. 1st I work at a dive shop and no-one dives Bermuda, I have done all my Diving at the NJ shore and Dutch Springs. I got some new gear for the trip and have a few test dives at the pool to get a feel for the gear and weighting down. I plan on using a full 3mm suit, scubapro jet fins, and the 2bc's I have to chose from are a ScubaPro Knighthawk W/air 2 ( got it BRAND NEW from Ebay $375 to my door) or my Halcyon B/P (6lbs) and Pioneer Wing setup. I got an Apex Black Pearl setup (I can switch to din or yoke) and ATX50 octo, Diverite Slimline Depth/Presure Ga. and Oceanic Atom 2.0 computer.
Well here is some questions I am thinking about as this will be my 1st boat dive,
1) Whats a better BC of the 2 for the trip
2) Go din or yoke
3)Should I take my Diverite Slimline HID can light
4) Do I need to take my SMB
5) Should I take the octo off and just stick with the air 2
6) Do I need a finger spool
7) Do you think they will have Nitrox
8) We are landing at King's Wharf and Snorkel Park Beach is close is this worth hitting up for a snorkeling with the wife? She is a non diver
And last but not least any comments or help would be great. I allways plan for the worst and hope for the best. Thanks Ed

betterjob.jpg

Sorry, I could not help myself!

Take your suit and regs, rent the rest.

I allways plan for the worst and hope for the best. Thanks Ed

I'd rent, then.

Ed66:
is this worth hitting up for a shorkeling with the wife?

You got one that'll do that? Man, no wonder you married the little gal!

All mine wants to do is go Kooba Divin' and Norklin'.

By the way, NITOX is not permitted in Sector R of Bermuda, so pick your dive-op with care.

I take (for April, water about 70 degrees F) my mask, fins, snorkel, regs(I have an Air 2) and BC, and my 7mm wetsuit (because I really like it) and a beanie and tropic gloves, just in case I'm a little chilly. This is not going to be technical diving at all, and most of the historic wrecks are fairly collapsed and wide open. Nitrox is not generally available and not generally necessary. I've never seen anyone use it.

Our friends went to the snorkel park and said it was okay if you couldn't get to any of the beaches, but they had been to a couple of beaches with us and really enjoyed some easy snorkelling with lots of fish. Tobacco Bay is very nice (near St. Georges), and almost any little cove on the south shore will have something to see.

Really, just relax and take the basics. Most sites are inside the reef and you would need a shovel to get below 60 feet. But I really like the historic wrecks and huge groupers. They say there is less variety of fish but bigger in Bermuda. Compared to Little Cayman, I'd have to agree. Except for the sharks. Never have seen any in Bermuda, which for some people is a plus.

Check out Blue Water Divers web site.Blue Water Divers & Watersports : Bermuda's longest running PADI Scuba diving & watersports centre It may be them you are going with, since they are the closest to Dockyard.

I was there in April of 2006. Based on my visit and diving in general here are my thoughts........

1) Whats a better BC of the 2 for the trip
Whatever you are most competent with. The diving is easy. What packs better/lighter?

2) Go din or yoke
Yoke, they will not have DIN

3)Should I take my Diverite Slimline HID can light
I cant imagine why. A small light in case you get to peek into the wreck or under something should be fine. Less to lug/loose/break.

4) Do I need to take my SMB
If you consider it prudent for boat diving then yes. Seas can be very variable out there in the middle of nowhere.

5) Should I take the octo off and just stick with the air 2
Whatever you are most competent with. With any luck at all it will have zero impact.

6) Do I need a finger spool
If you intend to shoot the (D?)SMB, yea.

7) Do you think they will have Nitrox
Highly unlikely. As of April 2006 there was NO nitrox on the island. I have heard that some is now available. The itinerary you describe hardly warrants it and the logistics as a cruise dive make it unlikely you can schedule it. DM will probably set a BT limit.

8) We are landing at King's Wharf and Snorkel Park Beach is close is this worth hitting up for a snorkeling with the wife? She is a non diver
It was closed when we were there. I would not pass up the chance to win her over to the wet side.

Have a great time.
Pete

Had some great comments and fast too!! Thanks for the imput, it's pretty much what I thought.
I am going to with mask,fins. Norkel :) , reg (minus octo) , Knighthawk BC , small DiveRite backup light, whistle, small knife , small safety sausage, Doxa dive watch, Atom 2.0 computer, mini spg/ depth ga(for backup) it should be small enough kit setup to cover the basic's. I hope this trip doesn't turn me away from the dark cold waters of NJ. I really don't know what I am going to do with having more then 20ft of vis :)
Thanks Ed

Hi Ed,

I'm a NJ diver who 3 years ago moved to Bermuda for work (and for diving). Actually got certified at Dutch Springs and used to head up there to practice.

Anyway, sounds like you're all set for Bermuda. Blue Water Divers is the outfit you will be diving with as they are closest to Dockyard. Taxi ride from Dockyard is about 10 minutes.

Snorkel park is okay for snorkeling. Given it's proximity to your ship, 5 min walk, you could easily do it. If the day you are diving is calm, you could always bring your wife for snorkeling off the boat. 2nd dive, and sometimes the first, is often shallow enough that you can see lots just by snorkeling.

Given your limited time in Bermuda, I'd recommend spending a few hours at Horseshoe Beach, as it's only a 20 min taxi ride from the ship and it's a decent beach with a concession stand. Plus there are taxis waiting there to get you back to the ship. The city of Hamilton is also a nice thing to head to, but take a fast ferry from Dockyard, or the ship's tender if they use one, to get there. Two hours is probably plenty of time to explore the front street shops.

And avoid the buses at all costs! The bus service is decent, but it will take a lot more of your time waiting for buses, etc.

Here's the official Bermuda weather website: Bermuda Weather Service

Pretty much what Tod said above. There will not be nitrox available. Bring your reg configured for yoke fittings, they won't have DIN tanks. Stick with gear you are familiar with and that you know works. Don't worry about the can light.

There are many beaches that offer better snorkeling than snorkel park. Horseshoe Bay, Tobacco Bay, Church Bay, etc. Get out and go have a look. If you hire a Taxi to get to one of the Southshore beaches, chances are pretty good that you'll get a bit of a tour and learn a bit about Bermuda. Or, take one of the fast ferries to St. Georges and walk through the old town to get to Tobacco Bay.

Hope you enjoy your trip,

Just agreeing with what the others have said-based on 20+ trips to Bermuda.

I might have missed it in your original post-will the ship be "docked" at Dockyard, or Hamilton-or maybe St. George ?
(That might impact the op you dive with, and land travel times.)

In any event, enjoy your trip.

I don't think a 3MM suit will be warm enough in Bermuda unless you're really warm blooded. I froze in a 3MM when I was there earlier this year even with a rented shorty over it.

Back
Top Bottom