Best guess drysuit sizing based on measurements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This sounds great in theory -- but after 200+ dives in this suit I'd never recommend it to anyone. Given that the suit is around 2K you can spend a little more (or less) and get a custom made to measure suit.

Which version of the Fusion do you have? The one I have is made from Aircore fabric and I have been diving it regularly weekly for a year and I have not had any significant issues with it and find it comfortable. Also, here in Europe it is not as expensive as it would cost in the US. Here the suit costs @ 1600 euros.

But you are correct that there are good suits that can be had made-to-measure for a bit more or less depending on material and options/features.

I will say that the thing I like about the Fusion suits is that they adapt if your body morphology changes. I have lost 50lbs since I purchased my suit and I don't find it has significantly affected how the suit dives if at all. I like the fact that I don't need to invest in a new suit just because I lost weight, or if I gain some back. The cut of the drysuit layer combined with the outer skin will more than accommodate any changes caused by my metabolic activity or lack thereof.

My wife just a ordered a made-to-measure suit from a local shop a week and a half ago. My biggest concern is that if she loses or gains weight the suit will not fit and the investment will be bunk, she will have a suit that will be really hard if impossible to sell. That is the reality when you go the custom suit route....and that should be a factor one considers if/when making an investment in custom made drysuit.

-Z

Does not surprise me given that you live an hour away from me. The shops here just don't carry them, and if so, then in L and XXXXL.

Which model are you after? Some are cut a bit more slim fit than others, so that may play a role? The smallest suit I found locally was a Scubapro Trilaminate in S. Felt like wearing a trash bag, hence why I thought maybe I can get an XS Waterproof in my height range and the two sizes my circumferences are too large will end up creating a nicely fitting suit. Or it may not.

Since researching my way through some of the custom offerings, I think this would be the way to go if you can get past the long waiting times.

Just a tip - go spend $15 at a tailor/alteration shop and get them to measure you properly, I had my own measurements deviate a few cm here and there from their professional measurements. I may seek out a second one for comparison, and to get a few extra measurements done as required by some of them, just to be extra sure before spending the coin and being in a world of hurt if it does not go well.
Yeah, I know, we are on the same boat down here...
At the moment I'm thinking the D7 Cordura Products - Waterproof or the D9 Products - Waterproof (it's hot here, you know)...
My usual buddies have one of each: they fit perfectly to them. One of them is very tall and skinny, and accordingly to the Waterproof sizechart, I should use the same size (Medium Large). I'm shorter (a lot) compared to him and more muscular...
My previous one, is a medium D7, and I look like Bibendum Michelin Man - Wikipedia

Honestly speaking, the 4 elements approach is really tempting, but again, I've heard different opinions...

Contacted Seaskin with my extensive wish list and if ordering today I'd have that suit some time in September! Winter would almost be over in this hemisphere...

Yeah, I know, we are on the same boat down here...
At the moment I'm thinking the D7 Cordura Products - Waterproof or the D9 Products - Waterproof (it's hot here, you know)...

What diving do you do? D7 Cordura would be heavier and tougher, for wrecks and caves or tech, and the D9X would be much lighter with that more fragile but breathable fabric (same as EX2).

If the D9X had quick change seals and maybe a pee zipper it would be a winner out of their lineup for me, given our surface temps here, provided I would fit of course.

Short and muscular means you'll have a lot of extra length in all parts of the suit, exactly what I am trying to avoid also.

Contacted Seaskin with my extensive wish list and if ordering today I'd have that suit some time in September! Winter would almost be over in this hemisphere...

What diving do you do? D7 Cordura would be heavier and tougher, for wrecks and caves or tech, and the D9X would be much lighter with that more fragile but breathable fabric (same as EX2).

If the D9X had quick change seals and maybe a pee zipper it would be a winner out of their lineup for me, given our surface temps here, provided I would fit of course.

Short and muscular means you'll have a lot of extra length in all parts of the suit, exactly what I am trying to avoid also.
Mostly tec diving, with a lot of exploration and wreck, so I'd like it tough.
However, the idea of something light and easy to wear (especially with our mild winter) it is very tempting.
...and yes, I will add the pee valve.

Since I'm not in rush, I will consider very well every single options and factors before opening my wallet.

I've just opened it for a Seaskin as I really like the customisation range, available options, amount of made to measure inputs, and ability to remove all logos.

Here is what I got - all black but with blue silicone seals:

- Nova Membrane
- YKK Front Zip with Cover
- YKK Convenience Zip with Cover
- QuickNeck Silflex - Silicone Neck Seal
- SiTech Slaggo - Silicone Wirst Seals
- Warm Neck Neoprene Cover
- Move dump to DIR/GUE location
- SiTech Valve System
- Inflation valve comfort patch
- Compressed Neoprene Socks
- Kevlar Knee Pads
- Back / Crotch / Shoulder PU reinforcement
- Telescopic Torso (TLS)
- Name Badge
- No logos
- No reflective tape
- Expedition Pocket (right thigh)
- Flat Pocket (left thigh)

Now the wait begins.

Nice!
Did they say how long you have to wait?

Nice!
Did they say how long you have to wait?

As per their email yesterday, it will leave the factory at the end of August, so arrive some time in September.

Patience is not what I am known for, but I came to the conclusion that the long lifespan of a suit makes it worth waiting to get exactly what I want. I tweaked every bit of my gear to my liking so far and the suit should be no compromise. Other than the looming fit issue, I did not really like the look-at-me full colour only options of the EX2 and it's unnecessary accessories. All those unused straps and arm pockets and zippers and second valve placements and name badge velcro bits go against my diving philosophy. The D9X was really much closer in its simplicity but lacked the pee zipper and quick change seals.

I wickedly enjoy being able to spec the big expedition pocket to the right thigh, where I wear my current Waterproof wetsuit pocket with DSMB, spare mask and storm whistle, and have a very slim pocket on the left instead which I keep empty in case I find something underwater, or need to store something briefly whilst on the surface. Most off the rack suits either come with no pockets at all, or two large pockets, of which the left one would largely be busy creating useless drag without benefit in my config.

I am otherwise particularly happy about the quick change silicone seals (key requirement), pee zipper (I hydrate a lot when diving and always kept my wetsuit clean, so I know what needs to happen during every SI, great if I don't have to half undress), neoprene socks (I want to keep my boots and don't want wear on the footwear affect the suit), bp/w PU reinforcements (the pretty sturdy Scubapro harness really roughened up my new wetsuit after just 20 or so dives), and the rest is just because I can.

It sounds like a great choice...
You'll have to chase some cold water down on South then.

I have to admit: I love the name tag idea. If I'd choose them I will definitively have one...

Back
Top Bottom