Best knife for a Sherwood BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have searched and can not find if there are knives beside the Pro Kit that can mount to Sherwood BCDs in a similar fashion. Do these exist?

What are other options for a mount-it-and-forget-it knives? I have an Avid, my wife has a Luna and my BIL has a Magnum, so we are attempting to find our options. Pro Kit seems unnecessary since we have nice lights already...

I'm also wondering the same question. Just bought my Avid today for $330.00, is that a good deal? I can't really find them anywhere online to compare. How do you like the BC so far?

I've had my Avid now for 4 years and really like it. It's robust enough to handle just about anything you could throw at it. The 6 D-rings are more than enough. The snorkle pocket is perfect for storing my smb. I only wish there was a solid handle built in to assist when picking it up with tank mounted. The pockets can be a bit of a challenge to access as they ride a bit high but I've added some large pulls from an old bc to the zippers which has helped a lot. I have a Wenoka Z-Lock and I mounted it inverted by attaching it to the right shoulder strap buckle using stainless steel bolts and nuts and a dab of lock tite. I drilled a couple of holes through the belt slot on the back of the sheath and corresponding holes through the strap buckle on the bc. It's a solid connection and works great. I attached my shears sheath on the outside of the left side bc pocket where a knife is normally attached, givng me a cutting instrument readily available on both sides of the bc.

Thanks for the in-depth review and suggestion.

I emailed sherwood last night and here is their reply:

Submission Received: Tue 04/06/2010
Comments: Hello. I purchased a Sherwood Avid 2010 BCD today and I was
wondering what all knifes are compatible to mount on the BCD? So far I can
only find the Akona Kit, but I don\'t want to purchase a whole kit, just a
kinfe. Thanks in advance.

Their Reply:

Thank you for the email. The knife that is designed to install on the
Sherwood BCs are the AKONA Pro-Kit knife. They typically come only in the
Pro-Kit, however we can break up the kit and sell the knife stand alone.
Please contact your Sherwood/AKONA Dealer and order from them the AK200KT.

Thank you,
Sherwood Scuba

They typically come only in the
Pro-Kit, however we can break up the kit and sell the knife stand alone.
Please contact your Sherwood/AKONA Dealer and order from them the AK200KT.
Any idea how much the knife costs by itself?

I haven't handled the Akona knife, but it doesn't look impressive. I think I would like a better knife, but I am afraid of putting new holes in my BCD.

By the way, I also love my Avid. It is a great BCD! I use the snorkel pocket to hold a back-up dive light... maybe I should get the pro kit... :wink:

The Akona Pro-kit knife is on the large side. It's more knife than most divers need. Most knives can easily be mounted to the holes already in a BCD or onto the LP hose. Many come with mounting hardware already. And they are much less. Check out our selection: Dive Knives

Back
Top Bottom