Best lake diving in New England?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Dooley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Based in Boston, curious what some of the best lake diving within 3 hours or so might be. Thinking of a place to spend a weekend, so in a perfect world there'd be lakeside accommodation for shore diving and / or lake charters.

Lake Champlain is the winner by a long shot. Learn more here in my thread: Primer to Diving Lake Champlain

Base yourself in Burlington. For accommodation, you have numerous Airbnbs, hotels, etc. You can even camp near the beach. Waterfront Diving Center in Burlington runs 2-tank charters most weekends from June-Oct. Great shop. There are places to shore dive from as well. Plus after your dives, plenty of restaurants, shops, trails, etc.

Otherwise:

The runner-up would be Lake Winnipesaukee, which is closer to Boston, has wrecks, accommodation and boat charters. Shore diving is doable.

Lake Willoughby has deep dives with interesting rocks, accommodation, no charters. Just as far as Burlington though.

Lake Sunapee is the closest of these to Boston, has one wreck, accommodation, no boat charters.

I agree with @FettSolo for Champlain, Winnipesaukee, and Sunapee. Not familiar with Willoughby. I would also recommend Wallum Lake with is on the RI/MA border south of Worcester. The MA end has a deep spot and the rock formations are pretty cool.

Lake George. You can find 30' plus feet visibility and a thermocline that drops down in the summer months so that you can dive comfortably in the 30-40' zone. There is a State Park with camping and diver access and there may still be a dive boat that goes out nearby. There are designated dive historic sites throughout the lake. The vis and deep thermocline make this lake stand out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom