Best non-liveaboard diving in Cuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can do people-to-people trips without applying for a permit from the US govt; just don't call it tourism. Non-charter flights are supposed to start for non-Cubans this fall. I don't know what's up with the person who cautioned you with the scare warning of being questioned when you return, and getting fined $10K. But I've been twice, in 2010 and 2012, and had no problems coming back. And it's much less stringent now, after the latest changes- don't worry! Flew to Cancun and then from there to Havana. It's much cheaper to do it on your own, rather than booking a tour. And very doable if you are a half-way competent traveler. BEAUTIFUL country and beautiful people- I highly recommend it! Stay in private homes, in Casa Particulares- they have them all over the country; you don't need to book far in advance; when you stay with a family, they can usually set you all up with another in the next place you're going to stay. Great to stay with locals in their homes and learn more about the culture from them. (We booked our first night from the US, then booked the rest when we were there.) The home owners can help you with anything you need, sights, tours, transportation, etc. We dove out of Trinidad, at Playa Ancon. there's a good dive op at the Hotel Ancon. Dove out of Playa Giron (aka, the Bay of Pigs). PG is very low key, very local. Also stayed a few days at a low key "resort" on Cayo Leviso, and dove there as well. I've heard Isla de la Juventud is very good diving, and Maria la Gorda, as well. I highly recommend you go now, before too many US citizens get there.

Anyone have a website or information on the step by step to go on my own to Cuba? I can set up appointments and meetings to meet 'people to people' requirements but I'm not sure if there are organizations I can contact to make those arrangements. If anyone has made this trip already, I'd love to hear how you did it.

Anyone have a website or information on the step by step to go on my own to Cuba? I can set up appointments and meetings to meet 'people to people' requirements but I'm not sure if there are organizations I can contact to make those arrangements. If anyone has made this trip already, I'd love to hear how you did it.
I don't know that you have to have physical evidence or proof of your people-to-people contacts. I don't believe there are any specific articulated requirements for showing Proof."
I went through Cancun; it's an easy 1 hr. flight to Havana; but now it seems to be quite easy and getting easier to get a direct from numerous cities here.
I would suggest you bring some humanitarian supplies that can help people there ("humanitarian trip" is also allowable. I would do it both ways, if I were you). I brought bottles of Ibuprofen and diarrhea medicine and visited children's health clinics to donate them. Walk around and talk to people on the streets; it's very easy to meet people and have your "people-to-people" contacts that way, whether you're in Habana Viejo, on the Malecon, or out in the countryside of Pinar del Rio or Playa Giron, anywhere. Cubans are very warm and amiable for the most part and willing and even eager to talk with us from the US, find out what we think about the world. (Just be savvy and stay aware for there will be hustlers, jinoteros, trying to be your "friend" and provide you information, set you up with a tour or take you to a paladar and expect to be reimbursed for their efforts; maybe even take you to a place to have drinks or eats, and then have you pay a tab of inflated prices of which you were unaware you were running up. Don't be afraid of this, they can be of help to you, just be smart and don't get taken, most you meet will be well-meaning, friendly, genuine and generous. But, sorry, I digress.) Take buses out of the city to smaller communities; you'll meet people on the bus. Find casas particulares to stay with families (for very reasonable rates, 25-30 CUCs/night, with breakfast). Talk with the families; maybe hire them to take you on a tour of the countryside. (When you stay in a casa particular, the family will usually be able to hook you up with another casa in the next town you're heading to; they'll call ahead and make your arrangements.) You'll have no shortage of people-to-people contacts when you get there.
Here are a few sites to explore for ideas: DIY ::: Casas with Rooms To Rent •}• www.cubacasas.net
Havana Room Rental - Havana Non Touristic Tour (you can easily find someone related to the casa you stay in probably any city that can hook you up with a tour guide when you get there)
USA CUBA TRAVEL: SCUBA DIVING
SCUBA EN CUBA
Good luck and have a great time!

Last edited:
Well, she is from Oregon, so I reckon she is subject to US jurisdiction, and the Cuban government will want to know what an American is doing there. If you answer incorrectly, they will put you back on the plane.
What you say is very confusing. The Cuban govt. will not care a whit what an American is doing there, unless you're smuggling in contraband. They've seen hundreds of thousands of American visitors, and welcome them warmly.

Well, in Cuba, you have even fewer options in my opinion, and accomodations and food quality are sorely lacking by comparison. I suppose that you could go to Havana and look around, but it is quite far from where you would be diving, and a little run-down.

I wholeheartedly disagree with your statements. There are numerous options for accommodations, unless you require 5 star wherever you go- you can find those in Havana, and, I assume, in the resort area of Varadero. There are 3- and 4-star hotels around the island. But if you are a traveler that appreciates getting to know the country you visit, and not just a tourist that hopes and expects to find American culture wherever you go, the casas particulares provide you with so much accessibility to the Cuban culture. For me, it's the only way to go. I enjoyed the food, especially the home-cooked meals in the casas I stayed. Cuisine in Havana is elevating with the relaxation of small business enterprises the past several years, and I've heard you can find quite fine dining at the new paladares in the city. As for the diving, it's not Cozumel or Roatan-quality everywhere, but I was astonished at the intense colors of the corals, especially when diving Playa Giron (the Bay of Pigs)- the best color I've seen anywhere in my short diving years. Agricultural pesticide use was halted back in the '90s for economic reasons, so the clarity and life underwater benefited greatly, though I did not see many big fish. As far as time spent on land, the country and its culture are so vibrant with life, the beauty of the land is incomparable (or rather, I compare it to Hawaii), and the people so warm and friendly. The grand historic architecture of Havana was awe inspiring for me; unfortunately much is in need of repair, but restoration is underway for many buildings, and the old zone is beautiful. You won't have enough time to enjoy it all. If you require 5 star hotels, you can get your fill of a touristy resort zone in Varadero. I understand the diving there is sub-par.

I wholeheartedly disagree with your statements. There are numerous options for accommodations, unless you require 5 star wherever you go- you can find those in Havana, and, I assume, in the resort area of Varadero. There are 3- and 4-star hotels around the island. But if you are a traveler that appreciates getting to know the country you visit, and not just a tourist that hopes and expects to find American culture wherever you go, the casas particulares provide you with so much accessibility to the Cuban culture. For me, it's the only way to go. I enjoyed the food, especially the home-cooked meals in the casas I stayed. Cuisine in Havana is elevating with the relaxation of small business enterprises the past several years, and I've heard you can find quite fine dining at the new paladares in the city. As for the diving, it's not Cozumel or Roatan-quality everywhere, but I was astonished at the intense colors of the corals, especially when diving Playa Giron (the Bay of Pigs)- the best color I've seen anywhere in my short diving years. Agricultural pesticide use was halted back in the '90s for economic reasons, so the clarity and life underwater benefited greatly, though I did not see many big fish. As far as time spent on land, the country and its culture are so vibrant with life, the beauty of the land is incomparable (or rather, I compare it to Hawaii), and the people so warm and friendly. The grand historic architecture of Havana was awe inspiring for me; unfortunately much is in need of repair, but restoration is underway for many buildings, and the old zone is beautiful. You won't have enough time to enjoy it all. If you require 5 star hotels, you can get your fill of a touristy resort zone in Varadero. I understand the diving there is sub-par.

Love the people. Love the music. Love the beaches. Love the cigars and rum, but for me the rest was ho-hum.

Love the people. Love the music. Love the beaches. Love the cigars and rum, but for me the rest was ho-hum.
Difference of opinion. You seemed to have missed a lot. Besides the beaches, I found the countryside so lush and beautiful, as well as the architecture from the 17th and 18th centuries.

You seemed to have missed a lot. Besides the beaches, I found the countryside so lush and beautiful, as well as the architecture from the 17th and 18th centuries.

I live in the countryside among beautifiul forested mountains, lakes, and streams. I have travelled alot in my life, and diving and beaches are the reasons I do so now. Architecture is not my thing. I am more into the nautural beauty of this world (like coral reefs and wildlife), the people in it, and their music. To each his own, I suppose, if that's still even a thing. It used to be.

Last edited:
I live in the countryside among beautifiul forested mountains, lakes, and streams. I have travelled alot in my life, and diving and beaches are the reasons I do so now. Architecture is not my thing. I am more into the nautural beauty of this world (like coral reefs and wildlife), the people in it, and their music. To each his own, I suppose, if that's still even a thing. It used to be.
I can understand that. But I travel to find beautiful diving and enjoy beaches and the sun, AND to experience much of the full culture of the lands I visit. I think, with your limited purpose for travel, you inadvertently shortchanged the experience of the land that others might gain who want to see more of the country than you do. There is MUCH more to Cuba than rum and cigars and beaches, and other travelers have a rich experience awaiting them if they care to do more than sit on a beach and dive. cheers

Back
Top Bottom