Best Red Filter for Hero 4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

great video!!

Here's a rough unscientific comparison of Backscatter (dive, first image) vs PolarPro (second image). Both of these were taken in similar SoCal conditions with HERO2.

You can see how the outside edges of the PolarPro tend towards purple, which looks unnatural to me. I think this is because the red tint on the PolarPro is a bit too intense.

gopro_backscatter_001.jpggopro_polarpro.jpg

All the current crop of GoPros are dive ready. No different housing is needed; the separate dive housing was for the 1 and 2 series because the stock spherical lens port did a lousy job with underwater filming. They figured out that a flat lens port was best, starting with v3 they made it the default.

---------- Post added November 30th, 2014 at 02:19 PM ----------

FYI I also use a Backscatter Flip filter. I used the old version with my HERO2, and got the newer 3.1 version for my recently purchased HERO4 Silver.

I was not happy with the tint of the PolarPro when I tried it with my HERO2. It seemed a little too red, and always seemed to leave the video a little less naturally-colored than the Backscatter filters do.

I have yet to play with all the different shallow/dive/deep tints that came with the Flip 3.1 setup I bought.

Thanks. This is exactly what I was wondering. I've never owned a gopro, but knew vaguely that there was an issue with the spherical lens. This answers my question.

Onderwaterfoto
I second SanDiegoSideMount: that really is the best gopro video I've ever seen.
Can you share some information on how you go through post production? For instance do you set the gopro on Protune? Also, what do you do for white balance?

Here's a rough unscientific comparison of Backscatter (dive, first image) vs PolarPro (second image). Both of these were taken in similar SoCal conditions with HERO2.

You can see how the outside edges of the PolarPro tend towards purple, which looks unnatural to me. I think this is because the red tint on the PolarPro is a bit too intense.

View attachment 198471View attachment 198472

The famous "kool aid" colors of the PolarPro. Those filters are made by non-divers that think any red color plastic does the job. Worst quality results from all, but yet, very popular.

That's a great video... !!! The shell patterns on that turtle were art. You saw a bunch. Did you do a trip report ? On my bucket list.

Onderwaterfoto
I second SanDiegoSideMount: that really is the best gopro video I've ever seen.
Can you share some information on how you go through post production? For instance do you set the gopro on Protune? Also, what do you do for white balance?

Also, incredibly stable!

I've been debating the same thing. I think I'm going to go with a SRP filter for both my cameras and set one as macro and one as wide angle on my tray.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom