Best reg for a newbie on a tight budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sfbarry

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Anyone have any opinions on the best regulators for a new diver who doesn't wanna spend much money? My girlfriend is finishing up her certification on thursday and though I might suprise her with some of her own gear so we can dive more often together. I own a MARES MR42T and absolutely love it , but dont wanna spend anywere near the 500-600 dollar range to get her anything like that. What about a package deal from scuba toys? where is the most bang for your buck on something like this.

A tall order. First of all, no package deals. If you want to get her regs, then get her regs. what kind of dives and in what kind of conditions are you both going to be diving?

I would imagine she will be primarily diving with me in the gulf region as well as hawaii.. The only issue I have is we currently live in indiana, I haven't done much diving up here myself, but will start come next fall ( as I live in Houston in the summer ) Also, she probbably wont ever go deeper then 60 feet

Scuba Pro Mk2+, very simple reg that is bullet proof. As long as you don't mind spending the money annually on services, you get free parts for life. Last time I looked you could get the Mk2 and an R190 for like $250

Check your LDS. Most sell their rentals at the end of the season, and usually at a reasonable price. You might be able to get a real good deal on a full kit!

Keep in mind that the reg is a very important part of your life support system. You don't want to skimp here and incur potential safety problems. With that said I've found the MK2+ to be very reliable. Rental equipment from an LDS you trust could be another option as mentioned above.

In early 2005, I took the Nitrox class, and the instructor said my regulator needed a "Nitrox rebuild" for $100. Soon after I was at Diver's Direct and saw they had the Oceanic Alpha 7 regulator set for $99.99. Nitrox ready to go, I picked it up, figuring I would not go deep with it.

I checked it out at 100 feet and it was outstanding. At 145 feet, it was just as good. In magazine comparison testing, it was preferred over many more expensive regulators. I believe it.

So, I got one for my daughter and hers is just as good. The new version of this is the Alpha 8, and shares the same working parts. You will probably get responses about balanced regulators, and "don't risk a life", etc. So what. If you have a chance to try one of these, you will probably be impressed.

Scuba Pro Mk2+, very simple reg that is bullet proof. As long as you don't mind spending the money annually on services, you get free parts for life. Last time I looked you could get the Mk2 and an R190 for like $250
What David P said. I have one-fantastic. But, I dont think they're available anymore. Try Mk2+/R295 from Leisure Pro for $199.95 + shipping.

If you guys are NOT going to be doing any diving below 38 F, MARES MR-12 VOLTREX, MARES MR-12 ORBITER. Of course you will get 100 opinions. Or more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom