Best Regulator Bag for inline first stage regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CompuDude

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone have a recommendation for a good regulator bag for a set of regs with an "inline"-style first stage? I recently picked up an Aqualung Calypso and I'm having trouble finding a good reg bag for it. Hard to write out the dilemma, so I guess a picture speaks a thousand words:

Pool-regs_IMG_5275%20(Custom).JPG
Pool-regs_IMG_5276%20(Custom).JPG

As you can see from the photo, this reg does not really lay flat very well. These are really only pool regs for use when DMing classes, so it's not the end of the world any which way, but I'd like to find a good storage option if one exists. My main regs (ScubaPro MK25/S600) lay so nicely in a normal, rectangular reg bag, but the best way to treat these has me somewhat puzzled. I just don't see how I can put them in a bag without getting what seems like relatively sharp bends in the top two hoses. But I know lots of people dive this stile of regulator, so perhaps there's some obvious solution I'm missing?

I have an old "bulletproof" Cousteau First Stage that I use as a Deco Reg, and has the same "radial" hose symmetry: I just disconnect all the hoses at the first stage, replace with port plugs and wind all the hoses/2nd Stages flat into the Regulator Bag. . .

SHerwood first stages are similar. I have a brut and a blizzard and actually just have one hose on the brut( stage/pony setup) but the blizzard fits nicely in my akona reg bag. ALthough I just looked at it and the angles on the hoses do not appear as severe as on yours. I gotta go with Kev's suggestion on this one.

Yikes. I was hoping to avoid that extreme, but perhaps there's no help for it. I suppose I could reduce it to removing two hoses (the top two: octo and LP hose) instead of all four, though. The other two lay fairly flat, albeit headed in opposite directions (bottom two in the top photo, primary reg and SPG hose). At that point it could probably fit any generic hose bag. *shrug*

Good idea, though, I guess, unless there's still a brilliant idea hiding somewhere in cyberspace... thanks for the tip. :)

I have one reg like that- I stuff mine into my Scubapro reg bag in two ways, depending on what else is going in there. I stand it up in the center of the reg bag and route the hoses to the corners and around the outside. The reg pokes up a bit in the middle. The other way is to lay it flat, just like in your pictures, with the knob in one corner and the hoses coiled as big as possible. The Scubapro bag is pretty deep, so the hoses a have little room to breathe.

After all that, I rarely pack my pool reg- I usually just toss it into my bag on top of my BC :11: If I were flying, I would probably remove 2 hoses just for the plane ride.

Any more ideas? I bought a Aqua Lung Traveler 70 to fit my Conshelf XIV, unfortunately, it doesn't fit the reg very well. It needs to have this hump in the middle or wherever the first stage are.

option "a": no bag, and loosely coiled. secure it into a bundle with some of the extension cord tamers or velcro bands. Toss in bag with rest of stuff...

option "b" is to use a HP QD coupling (like the ScubaPro one) that allows you to remove the HP hose at the first stage. Then you have a "flat" side to lay it on for packing in a regulator bag.

option "c": DGX/Dive Rite has a really big regulator bag (designed for holding doubles + deco + suit reg + stages).

lastly.... DIN

option "a": no bag, and loosely coiled. secure it into a bundle with some of the extension cord tamers or velcro bands. Toss in bag with rest of stuff...

option "b" is to use a HP QD coupling (like the ScubaPro one) that allows you to remove the HP hose at the first stage. Then you have a "flat" side to lay it on for packing in a regulator bag.

option "c": DGX/Dive Rite has a really big regulator bag (designed for holding doubles + deco + suit reg + stages).

lastly.... DIN

upload_2016-4-27_19-21-52.png

Thank you for your suggestions, I personally think the DGX Tek will work.

Syamim.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom