Best shark dive recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben Prusinski

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

I am looking for a great first time week long shark diving trip recommendations in the Bahamas! Want a place that caters to underwater photographers like myself looking to build skills and have fun safely of course! I have always to dive with sharks but do not want to become their next snack or dinner meal! Has anyone dove with Stuart Cove or Epic in Bahamas or off Cat Island? Need some good tips for a trip planned in early July for 5-7 days.

I did shark dives with Blackbeard and Stuart Cove about two months ago. Both were interesting experiences and gave me a lot of video footage to work with. I'd do either one again.

When it comers to diving with sharks though, nothing is better IMHO than the encounters one has when sharks are not being fed... you know, the "unexpected" kind. Tahitian waters provided probably the best shark encounters of that type that I've had, although Guadalupe was pretty awesome with the great whites.

Thanks Dr. Bill. What times of the year are best for shark diving in the Bahamas and also in Tahiti?

I am looking at Cat Island with Epic Diving next month. Has anyone dove with them before?

An interesting thing about Coves in Nassau is that even if you don't do the feed dive, sharks are always nearby waiting for it. So there's a good 1/2 dozen dive sites where reef sharks will be frequently gliding by. Check their dive site description map - they list them on those sites.

We did shark dives near Cay Sal some years ago on Nekton and during the week, the sharks would just glide by - one dive we sat on the bottom and they came within 3-4' of us - these are wild sharks a long way from anywhere - later that week we did a feed nearby and their behavior was entirely different - it really changes their behavior unnaturally when there's food offered, they become much more aggressive.

Another option in the Bahamas might be UNEXSO on Grand Bahama. Cristina Zenato does some interesting shark dives there - as well as they do dolphin dives. She's in the Women Divers Hall of Fame for her work. Maybe you've seen this:

UNEXSO is in Port Lucaya. So is most of what there is to do on GBI. UNEXSO - Dolphin & Scuba Diving Activities & More!

One other option from there is Tiger Beach with Stuart Cove's other shop also. They do all day trips out to Tiger Beach from there several times per week IIRC. They're big boys and can be a little intimidating if you haven't dove with big sharks before. Welcome to Stuart Cove's Newest Dive Operation at Old Bahama Bay Resort, West End, Grand Bahama Island, Bahamas They're located at Old Bahama Bay which is pretty remote but you could drive out from Port Lucaya in about an hour.

Becky Kagan shot this off Dolphin Dream but it's the same place:

Watching that video showing people hand feeding tiger sharks reminds me of the old joke, What's the last thing you hear a southern male say? "Hey y'all, watch this!!"

Not certain if there are best times for sharks in the Bahamas. I assume the reef sharks are there year round. Not sure about the tigers and I think the hammerheads are somewhat seasonal. I've only dived the Bahamas on that one trip.

In Tahiti I'm pretty sure most sharks are year-round.

here's a video from shark alley Grand Bahama Island. Here they are feeding the sharks. I went last year but it wasn't a feeding dive, but the scene was the same. There are plenty of dive ops that will take you out, and the price is far less than the feeding dives.

[video=youtube;FGjBn1ybwwg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FGjBn1ybwwg[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom