Best signalling equipment from the searchers point of view

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quick question that I haven't seen, not to say that it hasn't been addressed. I carry "Orion" hand held flares and smoke signals on my boat, I'm just wondering if they would work after diving with them. Does anyone have any experience with this or have you heard if they are effective after being dove with? I imagine that they would be as good as, or better than the dye marker, smb, whistle and mirror that I carry, if they worked. If they don't work, anyone have some research money they want to invest?

Quick question that I haven't seen, not to say that it hasn't been addressed. I carry "Orion" hand held flares and smoke signals on my boat, I'm just wondering if they would work after diving with them. Does anyone have any experience with this or have you heard if they are effective after being dove with? I imagine that they would be as good as, or better than the dye marker, smb, whistle and mirror that I carry, if they worked. If they don't work, anyone have some research money they want to invest?

I'm not a fan of hand held flares because you are holding a hand full of fire when already in an emergency situation. On a boat you are cautioned to use it over the side of the boat so you can drop it safely outside the boat. In the water it is more likely you will be bounced around and if it, or piece of it, drops ( since you hold it high overhead to be seen ) it can burn a nice hole in your BC, or the safety sausage, or you assuming you miss your buddy. I'd go with the strobe, but a divelight works.

Smoke would be sweet but I believe you are burning again.

The dye marker, smb, whistle and mirror that you carry are for other conditions as well as redundency and should be carried.

Bob

yeah, if SAR is using night vision goggles.

You will be limiting the rescuers ability if you use an IR light. Granted, most aircraft crew will have NVGs on and they will see the IR light just fine, but they are the only ones that will see it. NVGs will see a regular light just as well, maybe even better than an IR light. Often the aircrews will be working with surface units that don't necessarily have NVG capabilities.

Two items that will defiantly aide in your rescue are a Radar detectable SMB and a Personal Location Beacon.

DAN offers a 7' sausage that includes a mirror, whistle, and a glow stick. The sausage is orange (best color according to boat Capts) with a reflective strip down one side. It is relatively cheap and seems to do the trick.

on a clear day rescuers have reported picking up rescue mirrors at over 100 miles out!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom