Best sites for Eagle Rays?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divematt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm going back to Cozumel in 17 days and I was wondering from those of you who have been there many times, or those of you who "live there", which sites are the best ones to see Eagle Rays? Include Maracaibo, Barracuda, or San Juan, if they fit the bill. Also, other than nurse sharks, are some of the further away sites more likely to have the chance at seeing large sharks, or anything else on a larger scale?

Thanks

We saw a number of Eagle Rays at "Palancar Caves," along with sea turtles that we didn't see anywhere else. This site has so many neat swim-throughs and interesting reefs that I would have been happy to do 10 straight dives there!

It's a nice 2nd dive if you start out the day doing "Devil's Throat," because it's relatively close.

Have fun (I'm jealous!)

Two trips ago I was diving with Liquid Blue. One of the ladies on our boat was having a fit to see Eagle Rays. Jorge took us north of town and I believe a little south of Barracuda to what he called Eagle Ray Pass. We stopped in the sand on the point at about 80 feet. There were several groups of Eagle Rays, 3 was the smallest and 7 was the largest group. They went by right off the point. Jorge told us they came by the pass and went out to deep water and circled back. It was pretty cool and we had a really good and necessary safety stop after watching the show. Good luck and enjoy.

You can see eagle rays on almost any site. The best time of year to see them is Dec-Mar. The northern reefs have the most at that time of year San Juan,Barrcuda,& Eagle Ray. We were there last Dec and saw them on every dive. We went back this June and saw none. You never know.

I saw a few of them at Punta Tunich in May of this year. Whiping current there, so soon the eagle rays were out of sight.

Mel

divematt:
I'm going back to Cozumel in 17 days and I was wondering from those of you who have been there many times, or those of you who "live there", which sites are the best ones to see Eagle Rays? Include Maracaibo, Barracuda, or San Juan, if they fit the bill. Also, other than nurse sharks, are some of the further away sites more likely to have the chance at seeing large sharks, or anything else on a larger scale?

Thanks

We were in Cozumel last week. Unfortunately, the Harbormaster has closed Barracuda and San Juan for diving for now. Apparently one of the shops lost a group of divers and their dive master recently and they didn't find them until about 12 hours later off of Cancun. Everyone was ok though.....at least that is what we heard. They did not know when it would be open again. Back to the eagle rays though.....we have seen them on several reefs in Cozumel. Last trip we got to watch one eat breakfast...he did not seemed concerned with us at all. Beautiful!!!!!!!

Palancar Caves seems to be the place where we have seen the most Eagle rays over the years.

Seems to also be the place with the most consistant sightings.

We dove there in May of this year and there were two or three both days we were at Palancar Caves.

#1cozfan:
We were in Cozumel last week. Unfortunately, the Harbormaster has closed Barracuda and San Juan for diving for now. Apparently one of the shops lost a group of divers and their dive master recently and they didn't find them until about 12 hours later off of Cancun. Everyone was ok though.....at least that is what we heard. They did not know when it would be open again. Back to the eagle rays though.....we have seen them on several reefs in Cozumel. Last trip we got to watch one eat breakfast...he did not seemed concerned with us at all. Beautiful!!!!!!!

The northern reefs (Barracuda, San Juan, etc.) are not closed. We just dove it two days ago. However, permission from the harbor master is required the day prior to the planned dive. The dive op must present a written request including the names and levels of all divers as well as copies of each divers c-card. This has always been the requirement, some shops simply won't bother with it or cannot get permission due to previous incidents or lack of experience of the divers.

It is considered expert diving, so we don't take just any diver up there. This is why permission is required because the currents are very fast and topside conditions are rough. If the group gets separated (which does happen up there) it is very difficult for the boat to see you, especially without a signal buoy. The next stop is literally Cuba, so getting "lost at sea" is a very real possibility up there without the right crew and experience among the group.

As far as best sites to see Eagle Rays, it is up at the northern sites in Dec - Feb/March, they can be seen at any site, you just never know. Thye are fairly seasonal and we rarely see them in the summer months when the water warms up.

Hope this helps.

Christi:
The northern reefs (Barracuda, San Juan, etc.) are not closed. We just dove it two days ago. However, permission from the harbor master is required the day prior to the planned dive. The dive op must present a written request including the names and levels of all divers as well as copies of each divers c-card. This has always been the requirement, some shops simply won't bother with it or cannot get permission due to previous incidents or lack of experience of the divers.

It is considered expert diving, so we don't take just any diver up there. This is why permission is required because the currents are very fast and topside conditions are rough. If the group gets separated (which does happen up there) it is very difficult for the boat to see you, especially without a signal buoy. The next stop is literally Cuba, so getting "lost at sea" is a very real possibility up there without the right crew and experience among the group.

As far as best sites to see Eagle Rays, it is up at the northern sites in Dec - Feb/March, they can be seen at any site, you just never know. Thye are fairly seasonal and we rarely see them in the summer months when the water warms up.

Hope this helps.
It may not be true, but is what we were told. We have been to both sites and they are great. We will be back in November and hopefully will get to dive them then.

#1cozfan:
It may not be true, but is what we were told. We have been to both sites and they are great. We will be back in November and hopefully will get to dive them then.

I didn't mean to imply that you were lying...sorry if it came across that way. My point was that was most likely an excuse given to you by the op because they wouldn't or couldn't take you there for whatever reason, instead of just telling you the truth.

Back
Top Bottom