Best snorkle site on Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chocoholic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So where is the best place to snorkle where one could take a taxi from the cruise ship dock?
We will be in GC for one day off of a cruise. My niece is getting married on the island and no diving trips fit the schedule. I want to at least snorkle somewhere, I have heard there is a herd of people at Eden Rock when the cruise ships come in. I don't know how much time we will have so I can't even plan a Stingray Sandbar trip. It's my first cruise and first time to Grand Cayman.

You could try smiths cove,its just down the road from george town.also cemetary reef its about 15 min ride from town.it of course won't be nearly as good as the diving but at least you can get wet,see some fish and enjoy the scenery.

Really, I think the herd of people at Eden Rock is there for a reason - it IS the best snorkelling site. Not for diving by a long shot, but for snorkelling it has what you need - shallow water, good viz & lots of fish, within walking distance from the cruise ship terminal.

Thanks for the info. I'll check out Eden Rock then with smiths cove and cemetary reef as back up.

Last edited:
There is also Cheeseburger Reef out from the Lobster Pot Dive Center.
The reef formations and fish life are similar to Eden Rock but it is a longer swim out and therefore much quieter.
It is a 10 minute walk north of the cruise terminals.
CJ

Hi Chocoholic,

My favorite snorkel on Grand Cayman has always been Cemetary Reef off beautiful Cemetary Beach. As above, this would be a 15 minute taxi ride to the north end of Seven Mile Beach. If you have the time, this just might be worth it. You would get away from the majority of the cruise ship crowd, enjoy a really great beach, and get in some very good snorkeling. I've seen all kinds of great sea life here including my 1st and probably most intimate encounter with a Queen Triggerfish. I've seen Eagle Rays, Southern Rays, Nurse Sharks, lobster, turtles, and many, many great reef fish. If you can do it, I would take a picnic lunch and make a day of it. The beach has great shady areas under the seagrape? trees. The traffic back into town at the end of your day should not be a problem. I can picture myself there now, watching the sun go down, sipping on a cold Caybrew after a great day of diving and snorkeling.

Best of luck, Craig

Thanks for the replies. We ended up going right to the wedding site and staying there for the whole time, no time to see much of the Island. Grand Old House was gorgeous and I got to see the beautiful water, and the beautiful bride get married.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom