Best time of year for Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Timmyjoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Living up in the Chicagoland area, I don't get to dive much in the Keys. Made three trips to Key Largo in the last few years, two in late March and one in Mid-April. Would like to make a trip there this year, but want to hear other's experiences of when the diving is best. I'm a shallow diver, nothing below 100ft, and mostly looking to dive the reefs. My two trips in March missed many diving days because the wind and waves were too high to go out. April worked somewhat better, but still couldn't go out about 1/4 of the time.

Is there a particular time of year when the water is calm enough to go out, and clear enough for good vis, and busy enough with wildlife to make the journey worthwhile?

Thanks,
-Tim

I like going to the Keys almost anytime, but the best marine conditions are usually summer through late fall. My favorite time is Labor day until early November. The water is still warm, marine conditions are usually good, the summer vacationing families are gone and the snow birds have not arrived. The restaurants and bars aren't too crowded nor are most scuba boats and the hotel rates are usually at the lowest.

For me, Key Largo and Islamorada are the most enjoyable places to dive, especially if you're looking for shallow reefs.

I like going to the Keys almost anytime, but the best marine conditions are usually summer through late fall. My favorite time is Labor day until early November. The water is still warm, marine conditions are usually good, the summer vacationing families are gone and the snow birds have not arrived. The restaurants and bars aren't too crowded nor are most scuba boats and the hotel rates are usually at the lowest.

For me, Key Largo and Islamorada are the most enjoyable places to dive, especially if you're looking for shallow reefs.

Well,there's a very good reason the rates are low(er) at that time of year. It's called "hurricane season" !

You can't be more wrong, my friend... I lived in south Florida, until last year, for a decade. Hurricanes are episodic and unpredictable and have virtually no correlation to the price of anything to do with hotels and leisure pursuits. School schedules along with northeasterners desire to get away from cold weather drive pricing on most leisure activities. When vacationers and old people flood FL, prices go up. BTW, bad marine conditions cancel dive charters far more often in non-hurricane season than in hurricane season

I agree with you. We do the annual Cajun Invasion with Rainbow Reef Dive Center every summer, then the two of us usually enjoy a visit on our own at another time during the year. Of course each year varies, but in general I'm finding that it's best to wait until late June or July for the best conditions to start. For the past two years we've made our return trip the week before Labor Day and the conditions are usually great...with the exception of tropical storms that can move through.

Depends on the water temperature you are looking for. Today, I think, it is 75-76F there. Should be 80F+ in May, then getting to 84-86F in June. Depends how do you like to dive, in a t-shirt or in some 3mm+ wetsuit. While it might be ok for the first dive, a second one can be pretty chilly. Thus, it all depends on your comfort level. I have based all my travels on expectations of water temperature.

Unsure about why you'd like to travel to Key Largo. After 8pm the town closes, unless you like to go to sleep early, it is a boring away-from-civilization place. There is virtually nothing to do once the sun goes down. The bars are empty and have a habit to close early due to small number of customers.

There is nothing around for miles and miles.

On the other hand, Ft. Lauderdale offers decent diving and so many places to go to after the sun goes down, you'll never visit them all.

Last edited:
Texasguy.... You must go to the wrong bars and taverns in KL. I've been to plenty that stay open late and have on occasion stayed to the wee hours of the morning... but these days, after 4 or 5 dives, I'm usually pretty tired and don't mind heading back to the hotel or condo before 10:00. :)

FLL is definately a great night spot, but when I lived in Florida, I preferred the Keys as a dive destination. It's so laid back and doesn't have traffic issues and is simply fun. If I were coming to Florida for the classier night life with diving thrown in, FLL would be the choice. If I were coming for the easy diving, super casual night life and laid back atmosphere, the Keys win.... at least for me.

From a slightly different angle, does the marine life in the Keys vary much from winter to summer as water temps change? Better in cooler or warmer temps, or no difference?

The only difference that I know, you get goliath groupers in the fall. During the winter you can catch shark migration.

For me it's less about water temp than weather in general. The water temp in the Keys is never so cold I can't dive. I might want a bit more neoprene and/or a boat coat, but it's doable. The rub is surface conditions. I'm not the biggest fan of "sporty" conditions. If I'm traveling to dive, I'll dive what's there, but waves and rough boat rides aren't my favorite. You're much more likely to get blown out in the winter and early spring. In late spring, summer, and early fall you might get some showers (usually brief) and you do run the risk of a tropical storm, but when those aren't in play that's when you get warm water, glass-like conditions. That's when I want to be on the water. It can be pretty hot and stifling on shore, but I'm there to dive that time of year, not sightsee, and it feels pretty good after a few dives. It's also the "low season," so prices and crowds are a bit less. YMMV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom