Best time to be In Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rocketman3

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello everyone,

We just visited Key Largo in early May, and I want to schedule a vacation to dive again.

I do get motion sick, so I would like to schedule my vacation for the best time for small waves/swell - little wind.

When is typically a great time to dive? (I know predicting the weather in advance isn't going to work out).

We want to hit some of the wrecks and reefs.

Thanks for your help

As noted it is the ocean and stuff happens. I will point out that July and into August is getting into hurricane season and they don't have to hit the Keys to mess up the diving for several days.

My wife and I usually try to hit KL six or seven times a year, we have had hit and miss weather on a lot of trips but I would say we have had the best weather in June or July. We also head down a lot from the end of August into the first few weeks of January due to we have Dolphins Tix. It seems like later in the year the winds blow a lot from the east/southeast and the waves increase so you can get blown out easier due to high seas. Even if you can't dive one day, there is still plenty to do in the area on land, and your in the Key's.

Mike

I have been in Largo in June and July. On several days, there were half inch swells.

I went to Key Largo and Islamorada in late September. Water temp was in the high 80s. Pretty strong current on the Speigel Grove but I hear this is typcial. Conditions for French Reef were perfect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom