Best Times to dive Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JessicaDodge

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a couple of friends who just got engaged. Joy has always wanted to dive the Great Barrier Reef for her honeymoon. They are going to plan the time of the wedding around when a trip would be best. Just a little more info, they wouldn't want to go when it's all "touristy" but would if that's when the very best diving is available. Also, does anyone have any good dive spots or shops to dive with? I'm sure they would want to do more then just the most popular places. Some really great, little known about place would be nice.

Thanks,
Jessica

Hi Jess
Winter is the best time to dive the GBR the water is still very toasty warm; better vis and no Monsoons or Hurricanes.
If you really want to dive the GBR you have to get on a Live aboard, diving from land it is a very long hike out to the reef and most of them are cattle boats anyway. We are talking upwards of 100+ divers per boat going to very poor reef.

You really need to get out to the Ribbon reefs or even better the Coral Sea for the best diving. There are many very good live boards depending on the budget and the length of time you wish to stay on the boat.

Have a look at Diversion they are based in Cairns and have lots of very good information

This may be a stupid question but what are the Winter months in Australia? I am almost certain they aren't the same as winter in the U.S.

Thanks,
Jessica

It's the Southern Hemisphere, so the seasons are the opposite to those in the Northern Hemisphere (i.e. we tend to celebrate Christmas sitting out on the balcony in shorts and a t-shirt with a nice glass of chilled champers improving our tan). Winter falls in the middle of the year.

In the far tropical north they tend to have more a monsoonal wet/dry season than down south.

Thanks for the advice, if you didn't go on a live aboard what would you suggest? They want to spend some time in the country doing other things. They are only planning a couple of days of diving. And spend the rest of the time doing other stuff.

Jessica

Dec to March is the Monsoon season in Queensland.
We went WW rafting there and was told Mount Tully (near Mission Beach) gets the most rain in all of Australia

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom