best travel backpack for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When my wife and i travel, we have a large duffle bag with bcds, fins, boots, suits, safety sausage, wrist slate, spares(straps, o-rings,etc) this is 20kg on the dot. Then i carry both our regs in a reg bag, comps, log books in a back pack, this is 7kg. Thats my luggage allocation but i carry a camera bag with DX1G(stills) and WP-V1(HD Video) which is allowed on most airlines as extra. Then in my wifes luggage is cloths(20kg) and stuff(7kg) plus she carries the laptop which is also allowed as extra on most airlines. Thats how we have travelled the last 6 times with no problems at all, oh and i make sure it's all insured so if something does go missing we can upgrade to the lastest gear.
:D

Anyone ever have any issues with TSA taking a backplate through security? Just wondering if budgeting extra time for that would be wise.

Anyone ever have any issues with TSA taking a backplate through security? Just wondering if budgeting extra time for that would be wise.

I take my backpack through security all the time and don't have any extra issues. I imagine its harder to see what things are on the xray because its more jumbled, but it doesn't seem to take longer.

We just use an inexpensive roller duffel as checked luggage. We can get two sets of gear (minus regs) and keep it under 50#. We pack bcs with any fragile parts to the inside, fins stiffen the sides, and wetsuits surround everything else. I then pack a mesh duffel over all that to help protect from any punctures. Regs we carry in a backpack carry on.

A friend used to use a plain old canvas military surplus duffel. He stenciled on his name and some hokey numbers like 0U812 to give it a military look, and usually it never got touched!

Back
Top Bottom