Best video format

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yener,

Yes, when you capture your footage to your hard drive via FireWire, your capture/editing software is basically just taking the datastream it receives from the video camera and writing that data as-is to a file on your computer. The AVI file that you end up with should be an exact duplicate of the data stored on your DV tape (which is essentially a tape drive).

You can then edit your video and output it back to DV tape via FireWire retaining almost 100% of the original video quality.

By the way, once video is on DV or MiniDV tape, it's already compressed using the DV CODEC. You can't get uncompressed digital video unless you go to something like D1 -- very, VERY expensive.

KiiY:
Yener,

You can then edit your video and output it back to DV tape via FireWire retaining almost 100% of the original video quality.

What about editing the video and rendering it? Does that cause a quality loss? I mean not converting to mpeg, but just rendering to an AVI file.

I feel that there is a quality difference bw rendering to TAPE or rendering to FILE. In Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5.1, I was able to directly render to DV once without any rendering, and this was a real time writing. Then, next time, the system first rendererd then wrote to TAPE. Is this because I used some correction filters and effects? or do I miss something??? :06:

thanx buddies,
Yener

yceltikci:
What about editing the video and rendering it? Does that cause a quality loss? I mean not converting to mpeg, but just rendering to an AVI file.

I feel that there is a quality difference bw rendering to TAPE or rendering to FILE. In Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5.1, I was able to directly render to DV once without any rendering, and this was a real time writing. Then, next time, the system first rendererd then wrote to TAPE. Is this because I used some correction filters and effects? or do I miss something??? :06:

thanx buddies,
Yener
editing per se does not cause genloss (generation loss)... since all the editing software is doing is creating a set of instructions that it processes data with

rendering creates temporary files that the software uses to reduce task loading later on... any loss here is based on the final output settings you set in your edit software

again regarding rendering to AVI: it can be as lossless or lossy as you desire - by selecting the codecs that you'll render your AVI to. if you choose a low quality codec (ex. cinepac, indeo) you'll get low-quality images with relatively small file sizes, if you select hi-qual codecs (DV, uncompressed) then you'll have hi-qual w/ corresponding large file sizes (my reco is DV). you can also choose a 3rd party codec like DivX but this also requires it's own player or a compatible codec installed in the playback computer - i haven't heard of anyone having an easy/ stressless edit with DivX footage so keep DivX for mastering and distribution instead

regarding printing to tape/AVI: printing to tape means that Premiere uses your timeline data, reads it and the pre-rendered files, and plays it back for the tape to record (you already know this)... the quality of output is based on your capture quality

rendering to an AVI will depend on the codec you're using (see above)... if you capture from a DV source, edit and render as AVI using the same DV codec there shouldn't be any perceivable loss or diff in quality

rendering is a process the computer does to pre-compute data prior to output, "real time" systems are able to work through many processes w/o having to render (w/in limits), but generally color correction and effects need some sort of rendering time to calculate, sometimes it's rendered when you place the effect, sometimes before you convert to an AVI

hope this helps

Jag

yceltikci - you can go 1 of 2 ways.....

1. since you're using PPro 1.5, it COMES with an MPEG2 Encoder - the "MAINCONCEPT MPEG VIDEO" compressor. don't know where it stands on "QUALITY", but i'm guessing (hoping? praying?) that it's pretty good. you access it by FILE > EXPORT > ADOBE MEDIA ENCODER and then use the PRESET:NTSC MPEG-2 GENERIC.

i then use these MPGs to create my DVD's.... since a DVD's file format (VOB) is actually just a MPG(2) - it's a 1-to-1 so you get NO extra video loss.

2. jump head first into the "ART" of rendering video via FILE > EXPORT > MOVIE > SETTINGS - and boy oh boy are you in for some fun...... here's where you get to choose the TYPE and then all of it's individual CODECS and setting for each.... it gets mind boggling VERY fast.....

personally? i choose option #1... i figure somebody else has done all the work of figuring out the 'best' options....

Thanx a lot buddies. I'l try these all. I appreciate your contributions...

Yener

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom