Best "Walk Ons" in Phuket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azathoth

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
For various reasons mostly relating to my travel buddy, I find myself alone and without a plan for the next week in Thailand, poor me. I'm thinking about a few days in Phuket. Any advice on what charter outfit is best for some light recreational diving for a single person? I'm not wreck or deep certified, so nothing too fancy and no liveaboard, I'd like to enjoy some nightlife. Maybe an overnight to Phi Phi. I'd like to maybe try a night dive, probably be better there for my first one. Puget Sound can be a little eerie during daylight.

Walk on? Do you mean a quick booking? Most ops allow bookings up to the evening before the trip, as long as they are not fully booked already.

Being on your own isn't a problem--you'll be grouped with others of your experience level. Most of our local dives are in the 60 to 80 foot range, maximum, but we do spend most of our time shallower than that and really only go to these depths when we're looking for sleeping sharks and such.

An overnight to Phi Phi is doable. There are a couple of ops that offer these. Otherwise, for a night dive, your options are quite limited. There is one shop--Sea Bees--that has a four-dive day on Sundays which includes a night dive.

Also there are quite a few dive centers in the Kata, Karon and Kata Noi areas who offer night dives off Kata Beach. The cost is around 1500 baht inc equipment and DM service. These centers also offer local boat and shore entry dives off Kata and Karon beaches as well as daytrips.

Your diving can easily be arranged upon your arrival and most dive centers do offer the Phi Phi Overnight cruises. The cost is 9900 baht inc 7 dives (inc 1 night dive), accommodation on Phi Phi, meals (exc dinner after the night dive) and refreshments etc. Excellent value for money!

Have fun!

Ringo,

a friend and i are coming to Phuket in a couple of weeks and he is bringing his wife. well she is filipina and she is a very jealous person. i have been thinking about trying to stay on Kata or Karon beach. I dont quite remember what the night life is like there. I would like to know if there is a lot of women there that might get my friend in trouble. He doesnt even have to look at them at he will get in trouble. He wont even go to Bangla road because of it. that is just a filipina for ya though. would that area be a good place to stay?

Try Nai-Harn at the southern end, its the best beach which has NO bars nearby. I often stay at the accor hotel there (Mercure ?)

thanks for the info KhunNeal, i will definitely check it out. i just don't want to be to far from the dive shops. again thanks for the info.

What if the dive shops has some lookers working there? It happens... "He doesn't even have to look at them at he will get in trouble." I believe that would be most guy's absolute worst nightmare. That is a tough one, you may want to reconsider Thailand altogether :) Just being in the airport will get your mate in trouble. In all seriousness, Kata would be pretty tame compared to other areas. The beach is low key as well. I tried the longtail dives off Kata and really liked it. Not too crowded or deep.

well its too late to reconsider going there. already got tickets and booked rooms. i know there will be some fights but he is the one that wanted to bring her along. im just going to sit back and enjoy the show:popcorn:

thanks everyone for all the information. ill be there in a couple of days for some diving. hopefully it will turn out good for my mate.

Back
Top Bottom