Best Waterproof Bonding Agent for PolyCarbonate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a clear hard plastic polycarbonate plastic that I accidentally cracked. This crack is only in the corner, but does leak air in. I first thought regular super glue would do the trick, and that fogged up the plastic around the crack, and lasted all of 15 seconds. Can someone recommend to me what my best options are for bonding polycarbonate plastic to itself to repair a crack?

google (and several beers) may be your friend as you learn a bit. Hopefully more than me as I screwed up several times ...

I *think* there are 2 very different methods for "gluing plastic". The first type "melts" the plastic and forms a chemical bond between the 2 pieces. The second type forms a "mechanical adhesive" between the 2 pieces.

My first adventure was trying to fix a Canon underwater housing. I used crazy glue and some random plastic. The crazy glue "crazed" but worked perfectly. It formed a chemical bond.

My next test with a very different need and was trying to adhere a polycarb block to a polycarb housing. Totally adhered, but did not fill gaps. So it was not waterproof. That was a SCIgrip acrylics 16 glue. This glue seemed to melt my blob and the housing (a bit) and attempted to bond them as 1. This did not work as the pieces did not fit together perfectly. oops! For the chemical bond you need the pieces to already fit perfectly.

The next test used the other stuff. E6000 Industrial Strength Adhesive. This stuck things together and filled all the little holes. But it formed a layer on top of the plastic. So it was no use for active pieces like the camera lock closure.

P.S. Try crazy glue on both sides...

google (and several beers) may be your friend as you learn a bit. Hopefully more than me as I screwed up several times ...

I *think* there are 2 very different methods for "gluing plastic". The first type "melts" the plastic and forms a chemical bond between the 2 pieces. The second type forms a "mechanical adhesive" between the 2 pieces.

My first adventure was trying to fix a Canon underwater housing. I used crazy glue and some random plastic. The crazy glue "crazed" but worked perfectly. It formed a chemical bond.

My next test with a very different need and was trying to adhere a polycarb block to a polycarb housing. Totally adhered, but did not fill gaps. So it was not waterproof. That was a SCIgrip acrylics 16 glue. This glue seemed to melt my blob and the housing (a bit) and attempted to bond them as 1. This did not work as the pieces did not fit together perfectly. oops! For the chemical bond you need the pieces to already fit perfectly.

The next test used the other stuff. E6000 Industrial Strength Adhesive. This stuck things together and filled all the little holes. But it formed a layer on top of the plastic. So it was no use for active pieces like the camera lock closure.

P.S. Try crazy glue on both sides...

Baking soda can be used to fill gaps with crazy glue. Rub it in and saturate it.

Back
Top Bottom