Best waterproof point & shoot camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking to purchase a waterproof point and shoot camera to replace my Olympus770SW which now won't function (tells me the card door is open when it isn't - maybe someone knows a fix for this?).

The camera will be used for shallow depth snorkeling in sunny conditions. Convenience and ease of use are the priorities, so I know that I'm not going to get photo results for a full kit... I want a camera that I can keep in my swimsuit pocket at all times.

Photo quality would be the next priority, so I assume that's a function of best optics possible, sensor, and white balance adjustment with RAW option for editing?

So, what are the best waterproof (no casing required) P&S's? I see Olympus has a the Tough model to replace the 770SW, but I never thought my 770SW took great quality photos (and it's lifetime was not so great)... is the Canon D10 the best option?...

I appreciate any advice on my waterproof P&S options. Thx!

I always recommend Canon products because I have yet to be disappointed. For my taste, it is a little simplistic, but I know a few people with D10's that love them.

My "tough" camera had a lot of corrosion after 6 months of use, even thou it was rinsed after every dive. Also when diving to the promised 10m the screen was concaving in slightly and started malfunctioning after a while. I think a housed camera is a better option.

I always recommend Canon products because I have yet to be disappointed. For my taste, it is a little simplistic, but I know a few people with D10's that love them.

I am not so sure Canon is any better than Olympus or any of the other point-and-shoot cameras.
IMO they are all "disposable" cameras after a couple of years, depending on the use.
I have a G10 and G12. My G10 had to have the lens assembly replaced after one year for the Canon $250. flat repair rate.
Now after just over two years the monitor has dark corners. I won't be spending another $250. on it. The camera still works and I'll use it till it dies or the housing falls apart.
I won't agree Canon is any better than the rest of them.

Favorite in and out of water camera is my Panisonic Lumix DMC-TS2. Great pics, HD Vids and seems pretty bullet proof

my fav. all around camera is the Optio wg-1 GPS......just upgraded to it from my w-90 same camera just 14 over 12 pixels....waterproof to 10m my wife uses it to snorkel with....she took this pic in Bonaire with it....(it has been thru lightroom) here is the camera specs... PENTAX - Optio WG-1 GPS Green
DSC_1656.jpg
BUT as DeepcDivr said.....Good love the GoPro's

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom