best way from london to tofo beach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonhanson

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

We're trying to work out the best way to get to tofo beach from london. "Best" is obviously subjective, but the least number of hops is a factor. So far googling hasn't revealed much on potential flight routes into Inhambane. If there is no easy way then a non-direct route with maybe a couple of days in say durban on the way would be fine (i know it's not on the way, but it's a cool place). Alternatively maybe car hire drive from jo'burg is the answer?

Any ideas?

Obrigado,
jon

Hi

From Johannesburg fly to Maputo then up to Inhambane - ask the resort to collect you at the airport.

From Cape Town you can fly directly to Maputo as well, then to Inhambane as above.

There is no other way AFAIK.

Where in Tofo will you be staying ? When are you going ?

Driving is an option, be aware of the following :

It is only around 600Km from the SA border to Tofo but it will take you around 9 hours to drive - I did this 2 years ago and am doing it again on 20 April.

Do not drive at night in Mozambique.

Fill up with petrol long before you need to - entire towns have been known to run out of fuel.

You need to have 2 red triangles in your vehicle plus you must buy Moz 3rd party insurance.

Please ask if you need any more info - I am more than happy to help you plan your trip.

British Airwys to Johannesburg, SA for you Londoners. Then as Andy reccomends, fly to Maputo and then domestic to Inhambane. From there it's a short taxi ride out to tofo beach.

Another alternative is to fly to Maputo from Lisbon, Portugal. But it was a bit more costy than Johannesburg when I checked last time (Nov 06).

If you chose to drive, you can stop by the Kruger Park on the way, which is very much reccomended.

/christian

Thanks for the info. We're thinking heading over for the last two weeks in April, and planning maybe a week in Tofo Beach, followed by a few days somewhere not necessarily diving focused, Kruger Park being a good option. Last time I went to Tofo (>5 years ago) we stayed at Turtle Cove, which was fine, though this time i'd like something less basic, esp seeing as how we'll have laptops, digi-cameras, u/w housings etc.

Last time we went we had a friend who lived in Nelspruit and who drove us into Moz and up to Tofo & Vilanculos. Unfortunately she died in a car crash in Moz a couple of years ago, so this time we're on our own.

jon.

Don't know Turtle Cove, but Barra Lodge is probably the best if you want something less than basic.

I just found out today that you can fly directly from Johannesburgh to Inhambane if that helps you.

I will be in the area at the end of April, perhaps we can meet up for a drink or six if our travel plans coincide ?

jonhanson:
Thanks for the info. We're thinking heading over for the last two weeks in April, and planning maybe a week in Tofo Beach, followed by a few days somewhere not necessarily diving focused, Kruger Park being a good option. Last time I went to Tofo (>5 years ago) we stayed at Turtle Cove, which was fine, though this time i'd like something less basic, esp seeing as how we'll have laptops, digi-cameras, u/w housings etc.

Last time we went we had a friend who lived in Nelspruit and who drove us into Moz and up to Tofo & Vilanculos. Unfortunately she died in a car crash in Moz a couple of years ago, so this time we're on our own.

jon.

There are no really upscale places in Tofo, as Andy said. Allthough I didn't see them myself, I was told that a few clicks north from Tofo, at Barra Point, there are a couple of resorts (Barra Lodge, Flamingo Resort) which are a bit more 'luxurious'. But then there is the advantage of Tofo being a small community with a few different places to eat. Historically Casa Barry (don't confuse this with Barra Point) has been the preffered place to stay. They have casitas and chalets. Casitas are basic, clean rooms with a fan, situated in the back yard of the establishment. Not very cosy, but functional. Chalets are two bedrooms, kitchen and living room with a grill outside and chalet boy-service. A few of them directly overlooking the ocean - very nice! The latter works out a bit expensive for a couple, but if you are willing to spend a few extra quids, book a chalet!
I also brought camera equipment for UW-photo. I dived with Tofo Scuba, which to me seemed like the most 'solid' dive centre. There are no infrastructure for photographers a la the carribbean. No camera tables, no rinse tanks for camera equipment... you have to be self reliant on everything. But they have great motives :)

Attachments

• whalefront8.jpg
    whalefront8.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 48
  • mantaclosex.jpg
    mantaclosex.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 46
Ok. Casa Barry & Tofo Scuba sounds good. Starting to get cold feet about a 15+ hour drive from Jo'burg to Tofo though. Flying sounds like the saner option. Might drive out to Kruger from Jo'burg after flying back there.

Just think of the 30 hr drive I have from Cape Town !!!

BTW when I phoned Casa Barry last week they were pretty well booked up for the time I wanted to be there - better get onto them soon.

Update on this thread - LAM now fly Johannesburg - Inhambane directly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom