Best way to get to VA Beach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kstakem

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I'm headed out on the Miss Lauren tomorrow! :wow:

What I was wondering is, are there any short cuts or whats the best way to head to VA Beach? Oh, whats the speed traps like headed there? I am planning on leaving the DC area around 7pm tonight. I have never really been to VA Beach so this should prove to be interesting :wink:

Also is it best to pack a lunch on these trips? And any other gear that is needed besides normal scuba stuff?

Thanks all :)

Kevin

Kevin,

Have fun and think of the rest of us toiling away in the salt mines as you dive! Make sure to post a trip report when you get back, I’ve never dived out of Virginia Beach but it sounds enticing, as the drive is less than half of that to Morehead City, NC.

Mike

I dive off the Miss Lauren every July during the annual trip that my boyfriend and I take to VA Beach. Sorry, but I can't help much with the directions as we drive down from NYC and I am not that familiar with the DC area.

If you get hungry then pack a lunch. The boat has water/sodas and most people bring snacks to share. As for gear - I use my basic NE diving gear set up that I use when I dive at home (NY/NJ). I usually take a dry bag because the boat can get crowded and the dry areas are limited.

Hope that helps.

Hey,

Speed traps are not really prevalent going to Va Beach. They mostly will occur on I-95 before Richmond. I-295 might have some, but I have seen maybe 2 speed traps in I-64 in my 4 years living in Williamsburg. Take I-95S to I-295. After 10 miles on I-295, take I-64 East.
If you want to avoid Interstates, you can take Route 17 from I-95 (exit 140 or so) down to Newport News, then hop on I-64 from there.
Depending on what time of day you go, allow 3-3.5 hours coming from D.C. Traffic will tend to bottle up before the tunnel just past Hampton before you get to Norfolk. And of course you know about D.C. traffic :)
Have fun diving down there. Wish I could go.

Thomas

I'd vote for Drizz's idea about VA 17. With a choice between packed I95 and 17, I opt for the little used four lane off the Rappahanock. NO traffic.

This won't help you from Sterling, but from Maryland take 50 east to US 301 south at Bowie. Stay on 301 into Virginia across the two lane high bridge. After several miles in the Old Dominion, turn south on 17. The only bottleneck are the initial several lights in PG County and scenic, strip-mall clogged Waldorf, Maryland.

Once past Waldorf make sure you have gas. There are many miles and not much else between towns, particularly in Va. Tappahanock is a good place for lunch.

Thanks all :)

Well as for the trip its cancelled ;-0. I had a message on my machine when I got in today. Oh well.

Thanks for the advice. I am pretty familair with Rt 17 way. Being an ex-Coastie I did spend a fair amount of time in Yorktown. I always liked travelling on Rt 17, I will just have to see the best way to get there from Sterling. I didnt realize that Rt 17 hits I-95 though, so i will have to look into that. I am a Marylander that converted to a Virginian :wink: so I have to learn all the roads in this state now. I normally would have taken Rt 301.

Thanks again everyone, you all rule !!

Kevin

Hope they don't cancel our trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom