Best way to train if you travel frequently?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TipsyMcStagger

Registered
Reaction score
I’ve been interested in pursing SCUBA for some time but have always made excuses because of my schedule. I travel for a living and I’m usually away for anywhere from 3-14 days. The plus side is that I also have long blocks of days off…up to 14 or more.

The problem with most training syllabi I’ve seen is that you must enroll in a course that meets on a schedule that I can’t commit to. For example, the classes meet twice weekly, or every Tuesday, etc.

Can anyone recommend a cost effective method to pursue certification that will work with my schedule?

I live in NYC if that matters.

TIA.

Tipsy

For a small and often worthwile premium most shops offer 1 on 1 instruction at mutually arranged times. there no reason why you cannot get from start to finish in one spell home, certainly in 2. The "class" work is often mostly CD-Rom or DVD based with selected lectures to drive points home.

Pete

My open water class was conducted on two consecutive weekends. Classroom time and pool time the first weekend. Checkout dives the second. I've seen lots done this way. If you feel like you may be uncomfortable in the water and need extra time perhaps this isn't for you. I had already made three ocean dives before I was certified and knew the basics. Also most of the book work is done on your own at home. If you can learn on your own this is the way for you. You just discuss and go over the info when in class. This is most similar to a college course. You are responsible for your own learning and safety.

Miranda

The private lessons others have suggested should work well. Also, nobody's mentioned referral training. If your travels take you to a dive destination, and allow you free days, you could do the open water portion of your dives then and not be tied into doing all your instruction in one spot.

Just a thought.

Why type of diver do you want to be? You can always try those open water courses down at the carribeans, three days and you are done. I took my course in Brooklyn, Tue/Wed for 3 weeks. That worked out really well for me.

divnamite:
Why type of diver do you want to be? You can always try those open water courses down at the carribeans, three days and you are done. I took my course in Brooklyn, Tue/Wed for 3 weeks. That worked out really well for me.
I'm interested in becoming a recreational diver.

The problem with a Tue/Wed x 3-weeks course is that I'm never in town for 3 straight Tue-Weds.

I guess what I'd like to do is get the academic part and pool dives out of the way here in NYC and then take a vacation to complete the certification process (open water dive).

Tipsy

That's exactly what I originally planned to do . . . I was lucky enough to find a course where the pool and classroom work fit in my schedule. Then I got mau maued into doing the OW dives with the same shop, although I could not make all the dives with my class. We have found the shop where we got certified and have done a lot of further classes to be quite flexible about accomodating schedule requirements.

TipsyMcStagger:
Can anyone recommend a cost effective method to pursue certification that will work with my schedule? I live in NYC if that matters.

There should be a PADI training center in the greater NYC area which offers a "Weekend" course. As you stated, most people take courses that are scheduled as 2 days a week over 2-3 weeks. PADI also offers the exact same course in a highly condensed "weekend" version.

The atypical PADI course is two nights a week for 2 1/2 weeks (5 sessions). Each session would entail 2 hours classroom and 2 hours pool time. The "weekend" version compresses the same curriculum into 2 1/2 days instead of 2 1/2 weeks. All independent study is completed prior to the first day, which will be 4 hours on Friday evening, followed by 8 hours on Saturday, and 8 hours on Sunday. Open water dives would be conducted on a following weekend at your convenience. It is a very compressed schedule, and a very intense weekend. I would recommend it ONLY for those individuals who have no other choice. I know people who have certifiend this way, and they recieved top notch quality instruction that is just as good as the protracted version. Contact a local PADI dive center there in NYC and inquire.

Good Luck!!

For the same scheduling reasons we did our all at night and sometimes into the wee hours of the morning. Normally there are instructors who understand your plight and can adjust.

Happy Diving

Back
Top Bottom